55 gallon SPS reef- new additions (12/18/14)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Jun 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Looks like these guys. Lights are out now, so I couldn't get a picture.

I really want to get rid of this sebae clown but I can't catch him. I knocked off one of my few encrusting SPS. I'm sure that set things back a bit :-X/

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well, some of my SPS, one in particular is coloring up. The phase is going from skin tone to neon green/yellow and the tips are too.

Dosing 5 ml amino acids every other say and 2 ml of oyster eggs on the off days seems to be working. I added more fish and am feeding multiple times a day now.

One month Success!

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I tested phosphate today with my Hanna ULR meter and it read 0.06 ppm. This is much, much higher than it was (.003) and is now about twice what most people strive for. I began to notice a decrease in encrusting, so I thought something might be a problem. I think it is phosphate.

I'll add some GFO. I am honing in on success. Things are coloring up a little and looking much better. Just need to get the phosphate down slightly and i should be where I want.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Maybe OT, maybe not, but Kevin aren't you having pH issues? If so, I would recommend taking care of that before adding GFO. Just a suggestion.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yeah, that's something I noticed this morning. I am not entirely sure where to go with that issue though.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well colors are improving greatly and growth is noticeable. Over the last ten days.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So much better. I wish the colors on the acros came through. Some are bright green, others have purple color.

The only pieces that haven't colored up yet is the Red Planet (I see a hint of green coming in though) and the ponape birdsnest, but I just moved it up from the sand, where it was upside down for some time.

The montipora is night and day.

[​IMG]

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

11. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

So what do you think did it?

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Great question and one I can't say for certain. I think everything made a difference. But, imo, the feeding was the biggest contributor. I am feeding much, much more (both fish and coral).