55 Gallon Filter question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Steelers, Dec 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

I want to change my 55 gallon freshwater tank, to a FOWLR tank. Can someone tell me what the best protein skimmer to buy is, and should I still use my Emperor 400 filter. Please let me know what other equipment is recommended with a protein skimmer and live rock. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hello and Welcome to 3 Reef!

Are you going to put a sump in? Or do you need a hang on style skimmer? I think most here would agree that the Remora or Remora Pro are the better of the hang on style skimmers

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/Remora.htm

The emperor filter has convenient baskets in which to put carbon or phosphate remover etc . so you could keep that, I would probably toss the biowheels tho. You don't need them with the skimmer and LR and could lead to excess nitrates as well.

I think that gets you off to a good start! ;) :D

Have fun! What kind of fish are you considering?

4. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

do you want the best protein skimmer,do you want it in the sump or out of the sump or a hang on?that's all I have is a skimmer and live rocks. you don't need the emperor 400 in less you want it.get about a 3 to 4 inch sand bed.live rock about 1.5lb per gal or more up to you.I have about 420 lbs in my 300 tank..that will get you started, then the rest of the equipment will depend on what you want to keep in your tank good luck