55 gallon DT with 2 10 gallon tanks?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by lukeeluciano, May 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lukeeluciano

lukeeluciano Astrea Snail

Trying to make a Refugium for my 55 gallon DT. I already had my tank running with my hob skimmer but I want to add a Refugium and basically add more more water volume. I am using my old stand which only allows a 10 gallon tank under neath on each side. So 2 10 gallon tanks because there is a center brace that I can't modify. Is there a way to connect these 2 tank together in series?

If not, I will have to get at least a 20 gallon at put it on the side of the stand, the the prettiest setup.

2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Here is how I've done it in the past. Don't run them in series, but rather separately run a pump to the fuge (or tee off the return line to the main tank) and have it drain back to the sump.

Diagram:

[​IMG]

Notes:

- Make sure you have a screen of some sort on the draiin to ensure it doesn't get clogged with macro algae, snails, etc.

- The fuge tank should be plexi so you can drill a bulkhead for the drain.

4. lukeeluciano

So have the overflow from DT go to sump...sump pumps into (refugium and DT) through a Tee split....refugium overflows back to sump? Is that correct? What can I use for microbubbles? Also i need a acrylic tank?

5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

No, you almost got it.

Since you're designing it now, definitely do something like,

At the end of the overflow from the DT you want a tee (located below the display tank but above the sump / fuge area). In this case, right, to the refugium, left to the sump. You can use a valve on each side to regulate the flow. You'd want a nice steady slow flow thru the refugium that will just cascade over and down into the sump. (this way you will eliminate another pump). On the sump side, you have that other valve to control the flow....

No, you don't need an acrylic tank for a sump. Since your still in the design stage, you can simply design it differently. ;)
    It is HIGHLY recommended that you use GLASS baffles in a glass sump! Folks have had issues with the bond eventually failing between the acrylic baffles in a glass tank using 100% silicone.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  6. lukeeluciano

Is it hard drilling a 10 gallon tank? What size pvc pipe do i use for the refugium overflow? Its a 55 gallon fowlr but will be stocking lps coral, what flow rate I need ?

7. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

First, for the fuge you will need acrylic since you need to drill in a drain pipe at the top of the tank. As FB mentions you do not need acrylic for the sump.

For the overflow from the fuge back to the main, either 1" or 1.5" is acceptable. The flow rate will be low. I'd do 1"

One thing I disagree with FB on is teeing off the drain - I'm not a fan of restricting the drain in any way. It is just as easy (easier, actually) to tee off the return and put in one valve on the refugium feed to control flow.

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Correct. This is definitely the better option!
    It allows you to adjust the flow to the fuge and sump more independently.
    (ie if you wanna turn up your fuge flow, you then don't have to go and mess with the drain)

I don't know what your stand looks like, but being pretty handy myself, I would get a sawzall and cut out the center brace and then add the additional supports. Then you can just get a damn 20 gallon sump and be done with it!