55 gal. Mixed reef build

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by fish-aholic 94, Jan 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

There is an upper limit for how much dissolved oxygen is available in saltwater. It is much lower than freshwater.
    Also keep in mind that if you ever have a power outage and don't have a good backup system in place you will lose your fish much faster than a low-medium stocked tank.

I agree with the decision to not put the tang in although I feel like you still have a lot of fish for a 55. I'm one of the low-med stockers though. People get away with lots of fish but you have much less room for error, in everything.

2. Click Here!

3. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i understand wherer you're coming from and i myself keep an understocked tank, but you can overstock the heck out of a tank if you're up to the challenge, as you mentioned dissloved oxygen is an issue you'll have to deal with as well as soaring nitrates,back up generators etc..etc.. it all depends on how far you are willing to go with it

4. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

I’m going to have a fuge with about 500-700 gph running thru, with mangroves and cheato. I will also have a small fuge with about 3 ½ gph.
    Also I will do a 5 gal water change once a week, And will add a hob skimmer down the road. I will also have a small hob filter to run carbon.

I’m about to burst from excitement:biggrinbo. I can’t buy anything until I get a job. I will turn 16, in 1 ½ weeks, and I was told by my lfs they would try to give me a job.

I think I had my ramble for the day.;D

5. fish-aholic 94

I didn’t say I wont get a tang, I’m thinking about it.
    I’m not worried about the power going out. Unless we get hit by a hurricane, our power doesn’t go out for more than about 20 minuets. If we get hit by a hurricane, my fish tank would be the last thing on my mind

6. fish-aholic 94

is this true???

Marine And Saltwater Fish: Ocellaris Clownfish

just to clarify, I know they dont have to be in a group. I want to know if I can have a group, with out them killing each other.

7. fish-aholic 94

8. Click Here!

9. fish-aholic 94

10. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

this thread need some pics...

11. fish-aholic 94

12. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

You can pair up ocellaris clowns, any more and you will likely run into territoriality issues eventually once they start pairing off.