50 gallon reef build - About to fill with water :)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Anthos312, Jun 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Hey everyone. So I've finally moved and am setting up my 50 gallon reef tank. Really trying to take my time with this build and do it right the first time.

I bought a good stand from my LFS and reinforced it a bit with a few 2x4's and 3/4" plywood base. Additionally, purchased some rocks from Reef-cleaners and made some new improved rock formations that will look great (pic's don't do it justice). No sump will be used however I will have a 3 gallon ATO inside of the stand.

Equipment = Controller: RKL Setup - 2 x PC4
    - 1 x Temp Probe
    - 1 x pH probe
    - 2 x float switches (For ATO)
    - 1 x SL1
    Lighting: Reefbreeders Dimmable LED Fixture Photon16
    Skimmer: CoralLife 65g Super Skimmer (Multiple Modifications)
    Reactor: TLF 150 (Will Run Carbon/Phosphate When Needed)
    ATO: Controlled by RKL with Toms Aqualifter or MaxiJet 900 Pump
    Powerheads: 2x Koralia 750 gph / 1x Koralia 425 gph

See attached photos. I'll continue to update this the further along I get with my build, however I was curious on my tank layout and stand. The stand itself is robably a good 60 pounds. So for tank total weight here is what I'm seeing.

Stand = 60 LB's
    Acrylic Tank = Approxmateily 25 LB's
    Volume of Water = Approximately 45 gallons = 400 LB's
    Sand = 40 LB's
    Rock = 45 LB's

Minimum Total Weight = 60+25+400+40+45 = 570 LB's

Please look at the photos of where I'm setting the tank up. This is the only area in the apartment that would work and its the perfect size. It's recessed and between the wall that seperates our unit and our neighbors, and in front of an exterior wall. Please let me know if you think my calculations are reasonable and if this is a good area to set up the tank.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I can't help with the weight consideration but the spot you have picked out looks perfect as far as aesthetics. Your rock formation looks great! Looking forward to your progress and seeing the tank wet!

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Thanks very much! It definitly is a perfect spot aesthetically for the tank. I will be setting it up today and probably filling with water about 50% and start mixing salt it. Will only partially fill until i can get some more responses on the weight issue :)

5. BioNemo

BioNemo Astrea Snail

OK I am not a builder or even close but that is an outside wall right? There has to be good studs in the wall being an outside wall.
    I was talking about this the other day at the LFS and their answer was~if you can p,ace a refrigerator or waterbed on the area you are fine. Now that being said I would not use that theory on a 180 gallon tank! JMO
    Nice rocks and location looks good!

Question if I may...do you need to cure this type of rock when adding it to an established tank?

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Yes it is an outside wall. The photo attached shows what the exterior looks like so in my opinion there must be some decent exterior framing to account for the exterior.

The rocks do not need to be "cured". I've used this base rock before and I just setup new tanks with it and seed it with a few pounds of the existing and previous tank I have setup. That way the rock becomes freshly populated. Thanks!

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

A little update. I picked up some cork board rolls from Home Depot. I had a slight discrepancy between the corners of the tank and they were just barely moving. I picked up this adhesive cork-board and took two layers and applied them to the top of the stand.

Additionally, I installed an under cabinet light. I have a slight problem though. I think due to the extra support and and 3/4" plywood base I added to the bottom of the tank, it is now slightly out of level. See the photos attached. It appears to be a bout 1/4" out of level leaning forward. What would be the best way to fix this? If I add a few cedar shims along the base in the front of the tank I think it would be easiest. Would this affect how the weight is distributed on the floor?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Well guys, I've shimmed out the front of the tank, it is pretty damn level and I filled it up with freshwater. Got a HOB filter running with a couple of pumps to get some flow. I'm going to start adding salt in a bit so it gets mixing.

One step closer to adding sand :)

Attached Files:

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Nice mate! Love the scape and set up!

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Thanks very much. Man i was nervous about loading that much water. What a pain! Just a little nerve wracking being on a third floor and a renter. But it still seems totally level and looking good! Pretty happy i really took the time for once to do it right.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good move Anthos. I did the shim thing with a level myself. Very happy I did as well. My wood floor is really skewed. That would have been a lot of pressure on one side which I was not comfortable with.