5 foot deep aquarium

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by geologeek, Jan 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

hi all!

would 6mm toughened glass be suitable for a 5 foot deep aquarium?

the reason i ask is i want a indo pacific deep reef aquarium on a space in my house, and was thinking deep rather than long! the tank will be fully made of steel (welded) with only a veiwing panel to the front....i know about rusting so it will be surgical steel...but butyl lined..so no water contact...the structural frame will be 30mm box section...so th question i have is provided the glass is fully supported will it hold back the water without breaking?

any thoughts would be appreciated!

levi

2. Click Here!

3. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

shame! 23 views but no one has a view....was hoping to start this today....guess ill have to long instead of deep.

ltvi

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Levi,
    Longer is always better :)
    Unless you have special gear, a five foot deep tank is going to be a bear to get to the bottom and clean. Heck, my tank is 21" something deep and my arms get tired and my armpits get rubbed tring to clean it or move something around on the bottom. Your lighting requirements are not as geat and there are all kinds of other stuff that I am sure you already know about.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/technical/glassthickness/

Enjoy the process. I am in the middle of ripping out the walls and redoing the floor to our family room. It's good to be working on a project :)

Jim

5. coastal

coastal Plankton

240s

i have some deep 240's got tired of the maintenance issues so they are out side cant give them away 6'x2'x3' high and heavy maybe over 800 pounds is that what you want . the glass is 3/4" thick your tank would have to have 2 or more layers of glass and you would need a fork lift to move it . chad of reef science had a custom 1000+ gals and the glass is doubled the frame is steel and there is a place built in under it for a fork lift . he had to rent one just to get it off the truck and had a garage built just to house it no getting that puppy in the house unless you put it in durring constuction

6. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Levi,
    That's a serious tank you have described. I was also wondering how the heck you were planning on accessing the bottom. My future tank is 24 in. deep and that in itself is kind of way down. I am in the process of setting it up and just cleaning the bottom looks like an adventure. Good luck whatever you decide to do though. :)

Jim,
    Your mentioning of re-doing your floors kind of freaked me out because my new tank is 120 gallons and I'm getting the willies just thinking about pouring in all that water. Are you re-doing your floor for your 90 gal or are you setting up something bigger? My tank will also be in my family room which is located in the basement and is supported as follows (from top to bottom):

Below the hardwood floor and plywood is the following:

2" x 8" support beams every 14 inches running west-east
    2" x 8" support beams every 14 inches running north-south
    cement foundation of my home

So there's two levels of (2" x 8") placed in a checker-board effect below my 120 gallon tank.

You guys think I'll be OK? Then again I guess there's only one way to find out.

..... should anything happen please do not send flowers. Send a donation to a worthy cause please.

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

That sound slike a real stout floor. Not like they would build it today. Talk to blade runner about heavy tanks. He reinforced his floor for a 300 gallon tank :)

Jim

8. Click Here!

9. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

thanks for the input...i have decided to go with a 6' x 2' x 3' deep aquarium, using a vac to get to the bottom....will let you know how it goes....

levi