5 Day Cycle? - Tested

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Keegan Gibson, Dec 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Keegan Gibson

Keegan Gibson Plankton

Hello, i am fairly new to the saltwater hobby but have done a lot of research. i currently keep 2 freshwater 55 gallon aquariums and a innovative marine 20 gallon reef. at the LFS i came across a refrigerated bio-chemical product called turbo start 900. The website and directions say a 5 day cycle! watch as i test every day to see if i can cycle a tank in 5 days with dry rock. im using kent marine reef salt

Day 1: before product
    Salinity: 1.024
    ammonia : around .10-.15 ppm
    Nitrate: about 0
    Nitrite: 0
    pH: 8.0
    Temp : 79 F
    Don't think tank has began cycle as there is not much bacteria besides the live sand and all is reading 0.
    i will take whatever tips you guys have for a new reefer, Thanks and i will update tommorow 1 Turbo start 900.JPG pH.JPG Nitrite.JPG Nitrate.JPG Salinity.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Are you going to dose ammonia or use food?

cody3819 likes this.
  4. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Some people ghost feed and others use one pice of shrimp. If you go the shrimp rout pull it out as soon as your ammonia goes up. Nice setup and welcome to this awesome hobby.

5. Keegan Gibson

Keegan Gibson Plankton

I'm not sure the direction are kind of misleading, I think it builds up bacteria for a full fish load in 5 days or you could add a small amount of fish immediately for a source of ammonia. I contacted them and I will have day 2 and 3 up (today) I'm around an hour or so

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The bacteria need food to survive or they will quickly starve and die. I would use ammonia not fish. While these products can help speed up the cycle patience and time are still the only safe route ime.

mdbostwick, DSC reef and cody3819 like this.
  7. Keegan Gibson

Keegan Gibson Plankton

day 2
    ammonia .50
    pH 8 ish
    SG 1.025
    temp 79
    nitrate 0
    nitrite 0
    i think im going to add a peice of shrimp what should my ammonia levels get to?

ammonia.JPG S.G..JPG Tank.JPG nitrate.JPG Nitrite.JPG pH.JPG

8. Click Here!

9. Keegan Gibson

Keegan Gibson Plankton

10. Keegan Gibson

Keegan Gibson Plankton

how high should i have my ammonia with the shrimp

11. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

If you go the shrimp route I would pull it out as soon as you seen ammonia. But I'm new into the hobby as well, I just read a ton lol. Maybe someone with a little more time such as vinnyboombatz, DSC reef and oldfishkeeper. There are others on here with a multitude of knowledge, but I truly listen to what those three have to say.

12. Keegan Gibson

Keegan Gibson Plankton

The manufacturer said they die off in 5 days and that I was ok and wanted me to buy there ammonia product and said ghost feeding was bad but I'm sticking with the shrimp. He said to raise levels up to .3-.4 ppm and then it will convert and complete the cycle overnight