48" compact fluorescent lunar aqualight help

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Surfin C, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Surfin C

Surfin C Astrea Snail

I just got my hands on one of these systems for my 90 gallon soon to be... anyone have any knowledge on this fixture? Would like to know all about it. Got it used for free but didn't ask any questions about it.. what a mistake ha would have made my life a little easier

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

In short, CF is old technology. The bulbs aren't cheap, and need replaced every 6 months as they lose their color spectrum. Also, they produce low PAR and so are only good for lower-light corals, such as softies and some LPS. It will be ok if that's all you plan to keep, but if you want to house SPS corals or anemones, you'll need to upgrade to T5HO, MH or LED.

4. Surfin C

Surfin C Astrea Snail

Yeah I was originally planning on getting 2 Eco marine radion rx30w led lights but these were just given to me. So with those radions can I pretty much house anything I want coral wise?

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I haven't used them, nor have I read anything about them, so I honestly can't say whether or not they would work. Just bumping your question hoping someone with experience or knowledge will chime in. :)

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

In a 90, 2 radions can grow anything you want.

1 person likes this.
  7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yup.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mpfaff77

Mpfaff77 Plankton

I used compact flouros for first 5 years of my tank. I just recently switched to LEDs few weeks ago. Love them!! But my orbit PC worked good and although changing bulbs yearly sucks it did grow all soft coral and Lps great. Brain coral, bubble coral, pulsing xenia and leather just a few I had. I did have few sps that did ok too purple acrophobia that grew fast and I was even able to frag it. Kept it high as i could get in tank.

If you don't know age of bulbs change them. Bad bulbs can lead to issues with corals and algae.

Oh yeah and I did have to replace my actinic ballast about 3 years into owning light.