46 Gallon Bow Front new FTS

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Anthony Danta, Mar 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had a previous thread under starting corals but figured I should move all my updates to the correct spot thanks for all the previous advice and please if you see anything i may be doing wrong point it out to me like i have said before this is my first fish tank. It has been up and running right around 3 months now thank you for looking!!!

46G Tank
    Emperor 440 with chemi-pure (removed bio wheels)running filter pads
    Octopus 1000 hob skimmer
    Fluval E series heater
    2-Jabeo RW-4 powerheads
    1-Koralia powerhead
    1-Current Orbit USA LED
    50Ibs of live rock not sure on the amount of substrate id guess around 30Ibs

FISH
    2-ocs. clowns
    1-royal gramma
    1-starry blenny
    1-Randall Goby

INVERTEBRATES
    1-Pistol Shrimp

CUC
    20-hermit crabs
    1-Fighting Conch
    6-Nerite snails

CORAL
    1-neon green cabbage
    1-toadstool leather
    1-rock with abut 6-8 blue mushrooms
    3-Zoa's 2 frags and 1 live rock covered in them
    1-pink tip frog spawn
    1-gold tip hammer
    1-Ricordia mushroom rock 3 heads
    1-red open brain
    1- pagoda
    1-Acan rock 15 heads or so

everything has seemed to be going smooth have had the corals for a little over a week now water parameters seem stable plan on doing a water change this upcoming weekend any advice on my placement would be appreciated this is my first fish tank and first corals so don't be shy i am here for advice and to learn thanks for looking! also any suggestions for other corals?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Anthony Danta

Sorry these were taken with my phone not the best quality

Attached Files:

Katya likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks really good. What you're calling an elephant ear is actually a Sarcophyton, aka Toadstool, aka Leather....I like the branch rock scape very much.

5. Anthony Danta

thank you! i have changed the scape a few times already in the short time I have had the tank. I got the rock from a LFS and now i am wishing i maybe got a bigger variety of rocks. all in all for my first ever tank i am proud of what it is i see what a lot of members have on the site and it puts mine to shame but i'm eager to learn and get better looking forward to designing a bigger tank in the future already have lots of ideas!

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Scapes are meant to drive one to insanity trust me, making it extremely hard to keep ones hands out of the tank. I like branch rock better than boulders that do not look natural.

Give it time you'll have an even more beautiful tank.

chris adams and Anthony Danta like this.
  7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

tank is looking very good! I like your choice of corals so far!

Anthony Danta likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Actually I think it looks really good the way it is. The open areas not only are appealing but good for water flow and will not allow the food and waste to get trapped as easy.

We all want the best now but enjoying the process of building and watching things grow is the real satisfaction.

Take it slow and limit the impulse buys. If you see something you like research the hell out of it. You do not have to buy everything you see(cough cough..) right at that moment. Get the facts and take anything the LFS says with a grain of salt until you confirm their story is true. Rely on no 1 source but on multiple sources to make your own rational decisions.

mdbostwick and Anthony Danta like this.
  10. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

Beautiful tank!

Take things slow and do research

What do you have for LED's?

11. Anthony Danta

current orbit usa Oryo thinking I may need to supplement it but don't know with what or how to work the percentages once I do

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Tank looks great. I like the scape alot. I'm pretty impressed with the current led light. It produces a nice color. Ever think about installing the bio wheels back in the filter? There pretty efficient