40mm Nikon f/2.8 or 90mm Tamron f/2.8?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Photography' started by Nvizn, Jul 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The shorter the focal length of a macro the closer you need to be to the subject. Get the Tamron.

4. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

get the tamron. you'll need the longer working distance. The camera and lens would need to be in the tank or the coral would have to be right up against the glass to get the full reproduction ratio.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Do you ever want to be able to take full tank shots? What other lenses do you currently own?

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Sigma makes a very nice 105mm macro.I know a lot of people who swear buy it. They seem to think the sigma line is better quality that the others like Quantarray and Tamron. I have no idea just relaying what othersa have told me.

7. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I have a Nikon 18-55mm & 55-200mm. I'm looking for something for macro shots.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Normally macro lenses are very close in IQ but I agree with what Greg said. You should get a wee bit more distance from your subject the longer the focal length with true macro lenses. You could also use extension tubes with your 55-200.

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I have used the 40mm Nikkor lens multiple times. I like it, but Id go with something with a longer focal length as John said. I have also heard similar things about the Sigma macro lenses. Ive never used one though.

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I can't speak to the different brands as I've only owned Canon lenses. It's not the 40mm you need with your current collection and plans, but that is indeed a sexy fixed focal length.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I owned Tamaron a while back and it was alright. I would stick with the Nikon lens.