40g breeder frag plumbed into 75 gal sump

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Toallhisdoom, Jun 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

i currently have a 75 gallon display with a 30 gallon sump. I was going to set up a frag tank next to it and plumb them together. I have read that the corals will benefit from the fish waste? And this will make the total setup a total of 135gallons so it will raise stability. Any reasons why i should not do this?

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

nope, if i could set up my old 20 into my system i would

4. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Nothing at all man, do it.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I have an additional 40b tied into my system.

The upsides:
    One set of filtration and dosing
    More water volume
    extra space

The downsides:
    If something goes wrong in one tank, it's going to go wrong in the 2nd tank to (think pests)
    That's bout it...

6. Toallhisdoom

hmmmmmmm so ahhh. do it. pest! idkk.

hopefully picking up the 40B tonight! gonna go for it. Gotta grab one of those taotronics dimmable led lights for it. That should grow me some nice corals! :)

how much flow should i have in it? i guess it depends on the corals right?

and i was thinking of building a frag rack out of egg crate. have a low, middle, and upper rack for the different light corals?

7. Toallhisdoom

Ok another thing, can i cut a hole in the back of it and just run a pvc pipe on a decline down to the sump? so instead of like siphon it just kinda drains when the water gets that high? will that work?

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

As long as nothing other than coral is in the tank yeah you could get away with a hole for it to drain out of. Thats how most drilled tanks work anyway, your just doing it without a box to cover the hole ;)

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

cut a hole in the back of the tank??? YOu will need a diamond tip hole saw, then you will need a bulk head and then just an elbow in there to keep water level stable. Or order a glass-holes kit for it. Thats what I have.

11. SnooknRedz

Flow in a 40 breeder frag tank, you could be dine with a 750 kroalia, aim it at the higher racks for sps and the residual flow would prob be good for lps and stuff. But thats just a gues, you could always add a diff pump or have a really strong return feeding the frag tank. But its up to you.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yeah, just drill a hole, bulkhead it and put a strainer on it like a closed loop. Or you can do it right and order the 700gph overflow from glass-holes.com At minimum drill the hole like you plan to add the overflow and buy the overflow later. That way when you want to make the tank better one day, it'll be an easy upgrade.