40 Gallon ideas? It's a blank tank waiting to happen ;)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Arosereed, Jul 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Pulled the forty tall out and filled it a fourth the way up to start a mini cycle while I collect ideas. I love freshwater tanks, and I'm looking for lots of fish, I like colorful and oddballs;). I'd really like to get alot of visible movement in the tank. I'm open to any fish but love to see them more then have them hide. I know you guys have some brilliant ideas for me!

2. Click Here!

3. Brownie

Brownie Flamingo Tongue

Tiger Barbs and Silver dollars are fun fish. I've kept them both in the past and now that I've said it, I might make some changes to the fish that are in my current 20 gal fresh.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

40 tall, paludarium all the way!

5. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

Discus!! They are amazingly beautiful not to mention very active fish. Just make sure you keep your water in check

6. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Haha I always read posts and change stuff too ;) it's soo addicting. I like silver dollars tho!

7. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

That's is an interesting thought.... Yea already surfing the web! This is really cool!

8. Click Here!

9. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

How big do discus get? I thought they'd need a larger tank? I have been in love with them for the longest but was told they need a huge tank?

10. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

These are all great ideas! I love the idea of the palaudarium is sweet but I use hanging filters( college kid, cheap is my middle name) can those be used for this idea. I like this bc I can collect for the tank instead of buy which I love to do!

Discus are beautiful, I was also looking up about killifish? The problem is I have my african tank and my central American tank but all my fish hide and I rarely see them. I want a more visible tank ;)
    ( pretty sure the man of the house may cut me off, he said " Three tanks? Should I move into the other room in the house?" hahaha he will learn to love it someday !

11. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Discus would need a larger tank and if you dont have a lot of money can be very expensive!!
    You said you have african and central american cichlids that do nothing but hide? In my experience they rarely hide mine have always been out and about.

If it were me I would make a nice planted setup with colorful small guys like different neons, tetras, swordtails, etc.

12. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I've heard of people having to do water changes every other day for Discus. I also think that your tank would probably be too small to put any in there anyways. I would listen to PghSteeler and get some schooling fish and some live plants. That would look great!