40 gallon display - need sump/setup advice

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Anthos312, Nov 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I have never had a sump and I am considering starting one. However my tank is not drilled, eventually when i do upgrade to a new tank down the road i will get it drilled but that wont be for a while. What is the easiest setup for me with the LOWEST chance of an overflow. Bear in mind i have an Reefkeeper Lite setup with an digital aquatics ATO setup for my reefkeeper lite. I also need to run my Coral Life Super skimmer 65g in the sump and possibly even a TLF 150 phosphate reactor.

I need to know, how to seperate the baffles/height, what size pump to pump the water back up, what overflow options are the best.

Thanks for all the help 3reef, im such a newb to sump stuff like this.

2. Click Here!

3. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I have a similar setup. I have a 30L DT with a 20Lsump. I also have the same skimmer and like it much better now that it is running in the sump. For an overflow I went with the Eshopps pf 300. It has been awesome with no problem and I don't have to run an aqualifter pump to keep it primed. The overflow is rated at 300gph so you want your return pump around there. I have a rio 1700, which is rated around 325gph at 4' head. They may not be the greatest pump ever, but it fit my budget and is really quiet. I also have a valve on the return line so that I can tune the system to run quieter. As for baffles, you need to decide if you are going to include a refugium in your sump. My overflow goes into the first chamber where the skimmer sits. That overflows into the 2nd chamber which is my refugium. There is then a bubble trap between the refugium and the return chamber. I run my skimmer in 9.5in of water which is the height of the first baffle. The bubble trap is about an inch lower than that. Sorry for the book, but hope this helps.

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I will likely include a refugium. I would really prefer to have one. However my stand has a 2x4 going right downt he center middle of it vertically. I think i will have to setup my sump adjacent to my tank in another cabinet?

5. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

6. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

I have a similar setup.

I have a 40 gal display, and used a 10 gal for my sump. I have the same skimmer.

I made sure I have extra room in the sump to handle the extra water in case the pump fails. I made the pump section of the sump small enough so that if the siphon fails the tank won't overflow.

I've never had either my sump or aquarium overflow. My skimmer, however, which I have hanging on my sump because of space considerations, is another story...

I created my own siphon/overflow which works like a champ.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/vansiphon-125857.html