40 breeder return pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by arthur, May 3, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm finally done with building my 40 breeder tank!!!! :) Last thing is return Pump. I will go with Jebao DC or DCT newer version. Numbers says that 3000 should be enough for 40 breeder mixed reef with 20 gal. Sump. But Im thinking about buying 6000. Just in case… I have a WP40 for over a year and I swear i feel like they slowed down little. So I think at some point 3000 ( full power little less then 800 gal/hour but that is without head loss) might be not enough and having 6000 I can always dialed it down. what do you guys think? Is 6000 overkill? Thanks for all advice.

2. Click Here!

3. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

During my research I found out that new DCT Series make 4000 ( little over 1000 gal/hour minus head loss). I think that would be perfect.

4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

if you can dial it down far enough go for the 6000 to much is always better than to little. Plus if you go bigger or plumb an external frag tank you can still utilize the same pump.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I have experienced the WP slow down but once it's clean, it's back at full capacity. I have a wp-25.