40 breeder reef lighting...

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by High_hopes, Dec 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. High_hopes

High_hopes Astrea Snail

I am looking to develop a reef tank with mainly softies and mushrooms. I am new to the hobby.

I am looking for the best all around light I could use.

36.2" x 18.3" x 17"

Does anyone else have a 40 breeder and share what they use for light?

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

A 4 bulb 24" t5 would light a 40b for a softy tank wonderfully for a very good price. And you could add LPS with no worries under that light. (probably have no trouble even with a few sps in the middle, simpler stuff like montis and birdsnest)

4. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Chinese led ... Then u can grow anything you want. About 180+ shipping.

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Either t-5 or an led unit would work for you,dimmable led would give you the ability to adjust the color spectrum of the light to your liking without replacing bulbs,it would also be more energy efficient and produce less heat.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

whats your budget for it, But a $175 reefbreeders base system would be great.

7. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, but I currently run a Odyssea 36" over my 36 bow. The bulbs it comes with are a bit crap, but for jsut over 100 bucks, I'm pleasantly surprised. It will be more than capable of handling a softy setup in a 40B. Especially if you change the bulbs to better quality ones.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

a good 4 bulb t-5 fixture would light that tank up. You would be able to grow sps, easily, if everything else were in order and you had a quality fixture/bulbs. With this being said, by the time you buy a good fixture with bulbs, you could have purchased an LED setup. Go for LED and then you can pretty much have the color combo you want. I'm going LED at the first of the year on my 120.

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

11. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I run a $200 odyssea 250w metal halide and 4 bulb T5 fixture. Ive had mine for about a year and half and it works like a charm. Definitely the most bang for your buck.. Look on eBay. If you want LEDs they have moderately priced fixtures I've heard good things about as well.

12. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

By the way mine is a 40 as well. Forgot to mention!