40 Breeder DIY Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Murball7, Jan 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Well as I have been progressing in the hobby my equipment is beginning to grow and my small sump/refugium crowded. I saw the $1/gallon sale and picked up a 40B. This will also let me have room to upgrade if/when I decide to go to a bigger tank.

I have baffles that are made out of 1/4" plate glass. I'll use 100% silicone probably GE1 to secure them. The plan is to keep it pretty basic, but I'm thinking I'd like to have a center return and Y off the return and put a ball valve to slow feed the refugium, which will be on the far right and will flow back into the center.

I will have all my plans drawn up and pieces gathered tomorrow and my plan is to tackle it this weekend. Any advice is appreciated as this will be my first sump build and there are some very experienced diy'ers around here.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I wish I could help you murball! I'm pretty much DIY impaired :(

4. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Thank OFK, I am pretty handy but I really want to make sure I'm not going to over look something simple. Research research research. Can never have to much information.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

6. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Well here's the plan
    Screenshot_2016-01-30-09-55-48.jpg

7. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

8. Click Here!

9. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

The skimmer chamber is 9.5" wide and the refugium section is 13". The white between baffles on the refugium is the filter floss I think I may add to keep the plants out of the refugium.

10. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Things are moving right along, I have 3 of the 4 baffles glued, I'm just waiting for them to tack up to glue the last one in.