4 degree temp drop

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by acemow, Apr 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

Never had this happen, fan malfunctioned and stayed on, got home and tank temp dropped from 77 to 73 degrees. I'm warming it slowly so as not to continue shock to inhabitants. So far fish, inverts and corals seem fine. Any suggestions on things to watch for would be appreciated. Thanks:-/

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

do you not run a heater?

i wouldnt worry to much a short time in 73 degrees water shouldnt effect them unless its long term.

4. acemow

normally don't run heater because the house is warm and humid living in southwest florida, cooling is the focus around this time of year, according to the reef folks in my area. Thanx for the reply

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

acemow, same problem out here - I have a heater , it comes on January 14th and goes of on February 6th (we had a 3 week winter this year) all other times the issue is keeping tank cool

but my heater stays in anyway and all being well , it can do another 3 weeks work next year

worth having , even if your climate does make them semi redundant

Steve

6. acemow

Yeah, I now see the need to keep the heater in, wouldn't have had a significant drop in temp if it was in. Thanks

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

welcome Acemow, Im sure they will OK

funny - because I set my tank up in September 2007 and put the heaters in, but was unable to asses how they worked or if they did work, for 3 months. seems crazy to me because in UK the heaters worked for 10 - 11 months of the year and cooling was only a concern for a 4 week period most years

8. Click Here!

9. acemow

I am researching this hobby pretty intently since I inherited the tank stocked and established and don't want the inhabitants to suffer! I know I have a lot to learn and 3reef forums have been extremely helpful! thanx again