4 Bulb T5 for Anemone?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Jake337, Mar 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jake337

Jake337 Astrea Snail

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and have a question for you reefers. So I have a 55 gallon reef that's about 20 inches deep. Ive heard from some people that a 4 bulb t5 ho may not keep an anemone alive long term? As of now, I still have stock lights (about 4 months old) and will be changing to ATI soon. Also my fixture is odyssea. So do you think this fixture will have good amounts of par and light to keep an anemone thriving? I have a rose bubble tip right now and it's been doing fine. Thanks you!

2. Click Here!

3. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Anyways... If you have good reflectors in that fixture and decent lamps I don't see why not.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  4. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

That's also assuming your tank is stable and meets the requirements of an anemone.

5. mightymcc

mightymcc Astrea Snail

Well Jmadden, a youtube reefer, kept his RBTA under a 4bulb t5 for a while before switching to MH so I would imagine that it would be adequate for RBTA and therefore is most likely good enough for mini maxi, and rock flower anemones.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

"Back in the day", I kept a Condy nem under a single standard fluorescent strip light in a 20g tank; it was still alive and well when I sold the tank at 7 years old. I've also kept BTAs, LTAs, Condys, and Rock Flower nems with PC lighting. I could not imagine 4-bulb T5 not being enough light.

FTR, I've also seen a ton of threads here where someone introduced a nem into their tank with intense MH or LED lighting just to have it retreat under a rock for several days before even trying to acclimate itself.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

+1, iv been able to keep my orange and green btas in my old 50 using 4 t5s, as mentioned reflectors always help.

but with nems (as well as other creatures for that matter) light isnt the only thing they need.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I used to keep them under PC lighting as well. :)

The answer is yes for that anemone type.

For a Magnifica/Ritteri or some of the exotic carpets you may need to upgrade lighting, but for most anemones you should be fine.

Welcome to 3reef.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Agreed with everyone else....should be fine with reflectors and good water quality. Welcome to the site!

11. Jake337

Jake337 Astrea Snail

Thank you all for the replies! I do weekly wc so my parameters shouldn't be an issue.