Urgent 4 Anemones?? HELP!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Balcorta805, Dec 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Balcorta805

Balcorta805 Plankton

Question.
    I have a new BioCube 14 a little over 1 week cycling. 2 days ago I noticed a little pink thing which looks like it could be an anemone. I checked again today and it got a lot bigger. Also i noticed 3 others. The other 2 look the same. (like a bubble tip) and the other one is white has a little purple tips. They all have movement but are really small. There all on the same LR that I got from a LFS. I looked up majano and aiptasia and they do not look like any of those. I need help to determine if these are good anemones and if they are what do I do to help them grow?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

They look like a type of Pseudocorynactis aka Ball tip anemones.

Welcome to 3reef.

4. Balcorta805

Balcorta805 Plankton

Thank you!
    So is that a good thing? This is my very first SW tank. I have a fresh but its a waaayyy different ball game. :)

I only let my tank get about 5 hours of light today (because I think there's red slime) and noticed it was bigger. Any thoughts of what's happening?

5. Corailline

You are welcome. :)

Diatoms, Cyanobacteria (red slime) and green hair algae often occur right around the end of the cycle.

Diatoms, brown, will usually subside as the silicates from the glass and new equipment are used up.

Cyanbacteria should resolve as well, as long as you are using RO/DI water and have adequate flow to the tank.

GHA, green hair algae, again an issue long term if you are not using RO/DI water, and or introducing phosphates or other nutrients to the system.

If you are getting to the 3 month mark and still have significant algae issues there are other interventions to consider.

6. Balcorta805

Balcorta805 Plankton

So as its still processing should I do frequent water changes or let it take its course for now? I was doing about a 20 for a little bit but i haven't done one in a couple days. As far as for the possibility of baby anemones would it be better for the nutrients or do they feed off of the LR that they are on?

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I second a ball anemone ID in those pictures. It is hard to tell for sure being so small so keep an eye on them to see if they end up looking more like a majano as they get larger.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Avoid introduction of nutrients to the tank via food and tab water or less than desirable water. Make sure you have adequate flow. Consider specific snails and hermits that will assist with algae control (usually not Cyano though). If you have done all the above you may have to wait it out.

Please post an image if you continue to do battle with Cyano. Increasing flow and reduction in nutrients goes along way.

I do not know any hobbyist that has not had a Cyano issue at sometime, to some degree in a newer tank. If it persist you can be more aggressive in treatment options.

10. petro2342

petro2342 Astrea Snail

Welcome!

Here's a chart I always refer to when I see algae or some others growing in my tank.

Nuisance Algae ID Guide

You will most definitely need a CUC right after cycling to clean things up. These are going to be one of the most important purchases you make to maintain your tank clean.

As far as Cyano is concerned, what you are experiencing is normal for new tanks like Corailline said. Everyone goes through it and is normal. Later down the road these can be controlled once your tank is established. They sell chemicals (red slime) to get rid of it faster, but it can be controlled if you don't over feed your fish maintain proper water changes. I'm glad mine is finally going away after 3 weeks just by doing regular more frequent water changes.

Have fun with your SW tank!