3w Leds vs 50w leds

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mati_L, Aug 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

okay so the typical LED setup is several 3w LED stars arranged across a heatsink with maybe 80 degree optics .. but now i see these 50w leds that can have a 120 degree optic or even a lens to reduce that

my tank is a 72 bow front, as we all know it has a center brace so it is divided into two segments... now the question

why run 72 (bridgelux not cree) 3w leds when i can just run 4 50w leds two for each segment? or even 30w leds?

dumb question ?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

It's all about light spread versus light intensity. The 50 and also the 30w LEDs will be much too strong for what our corals need, meanwhile, it won't usually get good coverage over the tank, even with a 120* lens.

4. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Light spread yes i could imagine where several 3w's can be arranged for more area but a 120 degree optics is really wide no?

idk im just thinking of going LED for my reef and im a DIY kinda guy so i like to think and think and rethink all possible ideas first before i build

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Totally agree. 3w LEDs are plenty intense for corals with optics. I think a 50w or 30w would be hugely overkill. I know I have seen someone over at nano-reef who's big into LEDs tinker with one and it actually melted the acrylic shield over it. I believe he set up one 50w and surrounded it by blue LEDs. I am pretty sure he said it was neat and bright but not practical.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

6. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

you got mail

7. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Who would of thought, i guess thats what 50w of LEd power can do to acrylic lol everyone talk about cree, yeah they are a top notch company with a great product but why not the Bridgelux ? i wish i can see some par readings on those aquastyle fixtures..so cheap but idk if i should make the leap forward yet

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Both Bridgelux and Cree are actually companies of general purpose lighting. But they both offer LEDs in wavelengths which do work for aquarium hobbyists. While less common, I have seen a few LED fixtures that run Bridgelux.

I think the reason Cree is so popular is because of their high lumen-per-watt capabilities.

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Oh after looking for said posting he made they were only 18w bridgelux LEDs. And even the setup he made was four in a tighter pattern with an insane amount of par. Had a par of 300 at 48" through air I believe.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

At first i thought Bridgelux was a china knock off but i come to find out that yes they are actual companies for general lighting, i had no idea, would you know any links to a bridgelux fixture or build?

12. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Damn so im being skeptical when in reallity these leds do put out a good amount of usable light