3g. clear---30g. cloudy

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Lady J, Oct 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

:confused: My 3g. betta tank is clear

:confused: My 30g. planted is cloudy ----> 50% water change 5 days ago, filter pad cleaned, no sand disturbed, carbon and ferts added 2 x this week

What could be causing this cloudiness?
    What do I do about it? Could I run additional carbon? Confused...

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The cleaning may be the cause. You may have depleted your bacteria colony too much. Let it run its course. Just keep track of your ammonia and nitrate levels. If you can add a layer of filter floss to your filtration you may be able to remove some of the cloudiness.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks John. Hmmm, I thought a 50% weekly wc was recommended for freshwater tanks. Should I be doing less? When I checked my nitrates last week they were at 40 ppm which freaked me out.

I don't have additional filter floss---I've acutally been trying to figure out how to make those little pads because they're expensive. IDK

Any other ideas? Is this some type of algae bloom?

Also, I've been doing 30-40% wc 2 x weekly on the betta tank. It's cloudy for and hour or 2 and then clears up.

5. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

My ammonia test kit is at a friend's house so couldn't test that.

Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 40ppm

I'm assuming this is a healthy range seeing as I dosed fertilizers three hours ago.

Also, the biowheel continues to turn (they seem to be notorious for stopping, thus killing some bacteria--grrrr).

What should the nitrates be at for a planted tank? In all this time I don't think I've ever asked that. Also, and I don't believe I've asked this either or if I did I forgot: is the granulated carbon removing the supplements (ie: carbon, trace, ferts., etc.)? If so this is extremely counterproductive. Obviously in a saltwater system carbon isn't removing additives so this may be a foolish question, but what's it doing in my freshwater system?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

20ppm is generally listed as the max and 10ppm as minimum. If you dosed right after the WC it could also cause cloudiness but it should clear in a few hours. Make sure to not dose iron and phosphate at the same time as they will react and precipitate out. I dose my iron first at a powerhead in the tank and the other ferts with the phosphate being last.

Phosphate should be around 1ppm to 2ppm.

Carbon will remove a very small amount nothing to worry about.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

It's been five hours since I last posted. I just got home from work and the tank looks a bit cloudier than this morning.

Stats:

Tap water nitrates: 0 ppm

Betta tank nitrItes: 0 ppm
    Betta tank nitrAtes: 0 ppm

30g. tank nitrItes: 0 ppm
    30g. tank nitrAtes: 40 ppm

30g. inhabitants: 6 rasboras espei, 6 corys, 3 ottos, 1 snail (bigger blue shell, can't remember what type).

Feeding: 3-4 shrimp pellets daily and a "smidge" of flake or freeze dried blood worms (alternate days). No rotting plants that I can see, no dead fish/snails, biowheel continues to turn.

Ferts: only 4 in the bed: 1 under the banana plant, 1 under the (2)tiger lotus, 1 under 2 sets of bunched plants on the left and 1 under another bunch of plants on the right. Dry ferts 2-3 x per week, carbon dosing daily.

Maintenance: 50% weekly wc (as previously mentioned) and rinsing the filter pad in old water. Top off with tap water as needed due to evaporation (top is open).

To the best of my knowledge the driftwood is releasing a minimal amount of tannins.

*Some days the tank is crystal clear and now in the past few days it's not.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It will slowly get worse for a day or so then should slowly start clearing up. It may take a week or more.

10. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, that's good to hear. However, today the water was more green than milky so it's a minor algae bloom (maybe bacterial also). I did a water change but mostly because I'm still concerned regarding how high the nitrates are. Truthfully, I'm not overfeeding and am doing excellent maintenance. I've been dosing 3 ml. of ferts 2-3 x per week and I believe that's the problem. I'm guessing the plants aren't using all of it. What's your opinion?

Also, I've read many different opinions regarding the percent of wc people should do. Any thoughts?