37 gallon new stick pics

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Murball7, Mar 31, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Well this will be my build on my new tank, first let me give you some background. My first tank was a 29 tall which someone gave me for free, this was quite the experiment as I had never owned a saltwater tank nor had anyone I knew except the person I got the tank from and well they had crashed and burned on their attempts. I soon grew out of the 29 and wanted bigger things so I bought a use 55 gallon. After many changes from FOWLR to a softie tank my addiction grew. I met my wife got married this past year and bought a house and got rid of the beat up 55. I told my wife I wanted to set up a new tank and my christmas present was a new tank, a seaclear 37 bowfront. Not exactly what I wanted but she loved it so ill make it work (happy wife happy life). I built a stand out of oak flooring I removed from an old house and 2 pieces of poplar plywood.

SkyFire likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

4. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Great progress, my friend!! I like the stand. Don't forget to coat it with a really, and I stress the word REALLY good quality top coat that is resistant to water. An exterior furniture lacquer or polyurethane finish will do wonders.

When you do your first coat, try to not go over with your brush too many times as it will drag the stain. Give it some good time to dry between coats (like a day), light sand with 200 - 400 grit sand paper wipe the light dust with a dry cloth and re-coat. If you do that 3 times, you will have a long lasting stand. How do I know, you wonder? I did high end furniture work for about 5 years and learned a lot of what not to do in the process ;-)

Good luck!! Keep the pictures coming. Even plumbing planning gets reefers excited LOL.

6. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Well I have to tell ya that those pictures were from october last year lol this is what it looks like today. 20150331_234028.jpg
    I started the cycle today, and Ill post pictures tomorrow of my current holding tank for my fish and corals from my previous tank.

Attached Files:

Piano10 likes this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Nevermind about the lacquer or Poly coat then... you have other work to do. How did you start the cycle?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  8. Click Here!

9. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

My holding tank is a 10 gallon which has the overflow box running into my sump which is a 3 chamber sump, it runs at about 10 gallons and can hold about another 15 in emergency. There is a sca-301 skimmer, then a 4" dsb with caulerpa macro and then the return in the final chamber. I also have 2 phosban reactors, one with rox carbon and the other with gfo. There are 4 truelumen led lightbars lighting the 10gallon for flow there is an vortech mp10es.
    The fish are mated pair black ocellaris, small candy hogfish and a spotted cave goby. Inverts are sebae anenome, blue orange pistol shrimp, tiger conch, assorted snails and 2 small hermits. Corals are wellso green brain, blue/green mushrooms, small green toadstool, monti cap frag and assorted paly/zoas. Pics coming tomorrow after lights come on.

10. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

I put on 5 coats of poly so we are good there, the cycle is started by adding 1/2 cup sand from my established dsb, and a few pieces of live rock rubble. Ill put a small amount of shrimp in tomorrow to help feed the bacteria.

11. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

This is the 55 gallon I took down. Had it for 2.5 years. 20141115_163256.jpg

Piano10 and April Hope like this.
  12. sandy

sandy Bristle Worm

why are you taking out that 55 g tank, looks good Btw your new 35 g also looks great

April Hope likes this.