360 or PS3? That is the question.

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by norg., Dec 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

PS3 All day, totally customizable, videos, photos, music, blu-ray, also upconverts regular dvd to increase picture quality, the internet browser, ps3 home all for free. Netflix compatible and i even think theres thing for papa johns pizza ordering. It has everything, only thing that bothers me is that i paid twice as much for a smaller hard drive and fatter unit when they first came out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

This argument is like comparing T5's and metal halides...each console has their own +'s and their own -'s.

I'm gonna go with ps3 on this one because microsoft is awful with customer service. My 360 broke and had to send it in to get it fixed. My warrantee was up and they wanted $140 for it. I thought this was a little ridiculous. I called them up and tried to see why it was so expensive and they just gave me some BS.

So I bought a ps3 instead. Couldn't be happier. Graphics are very smooth, love the blue-ray, it has a lot of options too.

4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

xbox 360 is my preference. simply because i already had a regular xbox, hacked of course. the new 360 i dont have hacked because i play on xbox live.

heres how i feel about the two consoles....

PS3 = Free Internet Gaming
    XBOX360 = A computer I can later hack and do whatever the hell I want with. Yes I have to pay to play online, and yes I pay for netflix.

Can you do netflix on PS3? I dont believe you can.... I know you can do basic network media sharing to it, but other 3rd party services are a big no-no with sony.

In general coming from the computer industry, I despise the corporation of Microsoft. So I was at a cross-road when I chose my xbox or ps3 purchase. I went with xbox 360 in the end because more of my friends/aquantenances had them so playing with them online was the winner for me.

Ive owned a PS2, Xbox, Xbox360, WII in the last few years and I can say im pretty happy with the 360.

Granted, the manufactering checks and quality control were very problematic with Xbox and not so problematic with PS3, however I have had just as many friends complain about dead PS3's as I have heard friends complain of the red rings of death (RROD).

Two weeks ago my XBox360 got the red rings. I found out my xbox was purchased in september of 2006 (DAMN TIME FLIES!) so it was not a free repair for me. I chose to crack the thing open and fix it myself. I just cleaned the whole thing out as i would an old computer. Plugged her back in, no more RROD and its chugging like a champ.

Friend of mine had a elite that died last month we did the same thing and its working fine again as well.

So long as you dont put the xbox in a sealed enclosure, like a entertainment rack that gets no air flow, you're fine.

I like the feeling of the controllers on the 360 over the PS3 as well. I have a borrowed PS3 at the moment because I wanted to play resistance 2 which I cant get for the 360. I still feel that Sony has a ways to go on the media sharing aspect and internet capabilities, but its still a good system.

Now, heres something else to consider. If you were to have say a nice HDTV that you wanted to put a good blue ray player on... the PS3 is a cost effective solution if you want some limited-media sharing and gaming capability. Because right now as I see it you spend close to the same amount as a PS3 to buy just a blue-ray player.

This was all totally random thoughts lol but I felt I needed to put in my 2 cents.

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

btw the netflix thing on xbox live is AWESOME. i love not having to wait for the stupid dvd to get here by mail :)

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

indeed. it really comes down to your personal preference, or if you needed a blue-ray player at the time lol.

in my dealings with broken xbox's its generally been the heatsinks not mounted properly and they come loose from the GPU chip and cause it to overheat. otherwise its been the dvd-rom drive itself. (ive personally fixed three xbox 360's and had to deal with sending in ~5 units)

the $140 to fix it isnt a bad deal when you consider the fact that they're going to spend about an hour to fix it if its a heat sink issue, replace the GPU chip because its more than likely toast if this occurred. if its just the dvd-rom drive they have to take a new one from stock, flash the drive with the security id from your old one, and replace. this is about 35-45min of work and from a part perspective is about $50.

that included the shipping as well im guessing considering my last discussion with them about a out of warranty xbox was going to cost $99 flat rate + $25 to ship back and fourth.

7. mikeHVAC

mikeHVAC Spaghetti Worm

360 without a doubt. Im one of the lucky ones, ive had my 360 for 4 years

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

nice, had no idea they had the netflix stuff on there now.

10. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Microsoft for the win :)............ Although to be honest I am a little bit biased against Sony, mainly for humanitarian reasons.

11. l400ex

l400ex Fire Worm

if you want halo like me you have to get a 360 i have one and love it if i dident want to play halo id get a ps3 any day but i love me some halo

12. l400ex

l400ex Fire Worm

o and you can watch neflix on a 360 as well