36 DIY LED finally figured out whats wrong

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Anthos312, Jan 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

also, isn't that a multi-meter in the picture of "what you will need"?

2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Optional...

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I appreciate your good wishes. However I do not see how I am going about this the wrong way. This is a dimmable kit setup by Aquastyleonline, a reputable and fairly good LED company for reef tanks. You can search them and find tons of DIY threads. I have done nothing different than any of the other DIY reefers out there in regards to these parts and this build. I dont really see a point in calling the company considering they are in Hong Kong and everything is fine over here.

The only difference I have done is wired 3 blues to the white strand, which is acceptable due to the same current (amperage) running through them which others have stated is acceptable, and under my testing is working fine. I have monitored for 2 days now and seems to be working well until i can get some $$$ to order new bulbs.

One question i do have though, I notice some people include the drivers on the heatsink, and some put them in a project box (which I have done), my fixture has no heat retention at all considering the two fans I have, but how hot can these drivers get?

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

5. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I also emailed Ray at Aquastyleonline, I would like to say he has GREAT customer service. Asked him about wiring the 3 blues on the white strand and he said those connections are fine, as long as there is a minimum 12 leds on each driver.

6. tom.n.day

Ask him about adjusting the drivers please. Not sure why you are trying so hard to buck this

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Not trying hard to argue with anyone. I understand what you guys are saying and he has never told me that it is necessary to do this. Side note though, the fixture is working good. Corals look good and things continue to grow, really need to get myself an RO/DI though.

Attached a few pics, just shows the setup of drivers/fans on the heatsinks in addition to a cheapo way to hang the fixture. I shoulda just ordered some sort of hanging kit from rapid, sometimes DIY is a pain :/

Obviously my iphone isnt picking up the true color either, looks quite nice, a bit more purple than I would like but Im sure when I get the new bulbs wired up it will balance out better.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

Tank looks good, it looks like you have the same fish I have in my 55 (Royal Gramma, pair of clowns and bangai cardinal)

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Yup, except mine are pajama cardinals. I would LOVE Bangai, but now I heard I cant add them because I already have a pair of cardinals. Got my mom to tag along with me to a fish store and she said she wanted to pick something out and have it be hers in the take, so she likes the Pajama cardinals and calls them........."Pinky and Perky".

Trust me, it makes me cringe haha. But the cardinals definately do have a weird, creepy look to them at night. I have my blues and whites on seperate timers so the whites go off and the blues stay on late at night for a bit. It makes the cardinals look weeeird.

Another thing bout those cardinals I find weird, they somewhat swim close together but very occasionally one chases the other and stay on opposite ends of the tank for a while.