36 DIY LED finally figured out whats wrong

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Anthos312, Jan 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

No dont have a multi meter. However I wired them up and they are all firing up fine (i mean the ones that arent burnt out). However, basically since the whites on the right side of my fixture r burnt out the right half of my tank is definately more blue :( but i can deal with that until i get some money for new bulbs.

One thing i was thinking though, I checked the solder connections on my potentiometer, which seemed okay, however for the white strand it seems to act really weird. Basically when i dim it, regardless of dimming it down or up, it basically almost turns them off and once i stop the dimming action, they come back on to the level the potentiometer is dimmed at. It almost acts as if it has to turn off and then power up to the level the dimmer is set to. It works fine once I stop the dimmer action, however while dimming they basically turn off and wait 2 seconds to power back up when the dimmer action ceases. What ya think?

For now I have put the fixture up and got everything setup, until i get more money to really fix these bulbs, I think im just gonna deal with the more blue look on one side of my tank.

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP EVERYONE :)

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Whoa hold on You didn't turn the SVR2 down before you fired the lights up? I believe those drivers are able to put out almost twice what your LEDs can handle for current. I use meanwells on mine and you have to turn then all the way down and then adjust the current back up using a multimeter after you start them up. This very well could be why you have burnt out LEDs. You def need a meter before going any further and I wouldn't be comfortable turning my lights on until I get that checked out for fear of burning out the rest of them.

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

They are working fine for now. In no way in any thread i have read it is necessary to have a multi meter to do a DIY LED, yes it does help a lot in these trouble shooting situations, however you can do it without one. Secondly, I do not have the funds to go out and buy one right now. It is not why i have burnt out LED's the reason is because I tested a few of them individually and burnt them out that way, so I am pretty comfortable keeping the lights on as they are working fine over my tank. The only issue I believe is that of the potentiometer and dimming it, which I can figure out down the road. I would just like to have them working, it isnt perfect for now, but they are running and I could replace the burnt out ones, figure out why the dimmer is acting whacky, clean up my wiring a few weeks from now.

5. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Sorry I wasn't trying to come across as harsh. Here is a link to a DIY LED how to from RapidLED using meanwell drivers. It says that they are factory preset to 1.3A. This will burn out LEDs. And that you need to turn it down. http://www.vinnymarini.com/pictures/rapid_docs/Using Your Dimmable Driver.pdf
    It's your choice just trying to help, as I just finished a build a couple months ago and spent weeks researching.

Edit: If you are having any more troubles exactly and evolved are among the best guys on here to ask about LEDs, try shooting them a PM.

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Thanks very much for the help thus far. Wasnt trying to sound harsh either. I researched a ton before I started all this, just was impatient when doing it a few months ago and never got to finishing it cause I was at the time busy with work. Ive got it up and working fine, I think/heard that these potentiometers from aquastyle arent the best quality and I am assuming that is what the real issue is. For now they are working, its not perfect, but Im glad to have it up and running (somewhat) :) lol. As far as the execessive blue on one side of my tank, I have played around with placing optics on certain LED's to balance out the color. Looks better, will post pics later tonight. Thanks :)

7. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

this is wrong. You need a multimeter to do a DIY fixture. Those drivers can power 1.3 mA. Those blue LEDS can only handle 700 mA. This is a recipe for an electrical issue. I don't care how much research you have done, this is the simple truth and is direct from and reputable LED site. I wish Evolved or Exactly would chime in here. You will burn out the rest of your LEDs that don't run at 1.3 mA or above if you don't adjust them

8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

Also, your dimmer is not working because you need to turn your drivers all the way down and the dimmer at 100 percent. This is when you use the multimeter to then slowly raise the mA until it reach 700 or until the max rating (or below) for the LOWEST rated LED on that string.

1 person likes this.
  10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I tend to pick & choose my battles...

But it looks like you've really already covered things here. :)

OP, take a look: http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/diy-dimmable-rapidled-kit-converting-mhs-96138.html

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

First of all, everyone chill..... Secondly, this is the exact thread ive followed along with many others.

How To - Aquastyle DIY LED - Coral Photos Added - Nano-Reef.com Forums

And i think I need to state once again, this is not a CREE build, these are Aquastyle online kits. I have already posted all the information about them. The driver info is listed here:

• nput voltage: AC 100-240V 50-60Hz
    • Output voltage: 30-70V
    • Output current(constant): 680mA +/-5%
    • Power range: Minimum 12 LEDs, Maximum 20 LEDs
    • Dimmable control: Potentiometer
    • Water proof: IP66
    • Dimension: 11.5cm x 3.7cm x 2.8cm(H)
    • Net weight: 0.25kg
    Where you are bringing up this 1.3mA i have no idea. I cannot see that anywhere in any of my specs regarding this build.

Regarding this: "Also, your dimmer is not working because you need to turn your drivers all the way down and the dimmer at 100 percent. This is when you use the multimeter to then slowly raise the mA until it reach 700 or until the max rating (or below) for the LOWEST rated LED on that string."

The dimmers worked fine when I first did this build. Once again, the LED's are not burning out because of anything to do with my wiring fashion, I burnt the LEDS out on accident and I know why. I suspect the problem with the dimmer is a poor soldered connection to the potentiometers themselves.

12. tom.n.day

Anthos, please call the company you ordered your LEDS from. Have them help walk you through it. No one is attacking you, but you are going about this the wrong was and will not be successful without some advice you will take. again, I am not trying to argue with you but want you to be successful. Good Luck