36 DIY LED finally figured out whats wrong

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Anthos312, Jan 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

So after so much trouble shooting... I mean DAYS of rewiring, to the point where I would have rather bought a professional LED system instead of doing my own now...... haha. Seriously though..., i finally figured out whats wrong. I have 8 LED's that are burnt out. How this happened I dont know. I wouldnt be too bother except for the fact that I dont even have enough whites on my one driver to run them. I have 16 working royal blues (2 are burnt out), and only 9 working whites (5 are burnt out), and my 2 UV bulbs are burnt out. Basically I have 2 options here i think...

1) Re order more LED bulbs from aquastyle which will take a few weeks to arrive...which isnt a great option considering im so broke/unemployed again after college :(

2) Remove 3 of the blues from the blue driver circuit and wire them up to the white driver strand of LED's. Im not sure if this is recommended though.

If i cant wire a few of the blues up to get the minimum number of LEDS (which is 12 for the strand to light up), i guess i will have to wait till i get a job/some $$$ to order more :(

2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

58 views and not one response?

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I guess if cash is strapped then I would just rewire and use what you have so that you have lights. More important though, is why are they burnt out? You must have something wrong and I would be trying to figure that out first before I went anywhere, at the risk of losing the rest of the LEDs.

5. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

So basically you have to have a minimum of 12 LEDs per driver. When you only wire a few together (less than the minimum) they will blink every few seconds. Basically, what I think happened was a was testing the connections, and wired a few together and maybe there was too much current and it fried those few I wired together. This wont happen again because I have already figured out which ones that are blown. However, what I really need to know is whether I can have these BridgeLux Royal blues and Whites wired together on the same driver? If so, I will take 3 of my 16 Royal Blues and wire them to my strand of 9 whites in order to have the minimum 12.

If this is the case I can have both strands wired up on the dimmers and it would work great until i can order some replacement LED's for the blown ones.

I just need to know if the royal blues and whites can be wired together on the same driver?

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

As long as you aren't exceeding the max. input of either of the LEDs there is no reason you can mix the colours on a strand. Just remember that you won't have the same control over the colour temp of the lights if you mix them.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, i'm pretty sure you can mix, don't see why not! I think your mistake was in the testing! I think you're supposed to have a full set wired before plugging in or else they burn out! Why not order a few from rapidled or ocreef! should only take a few days for them to get ya refilled!

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I got laid off work and have been unemployed for over a month. Literally have no money for things like this.. :(

Im sure it was in the testing that fried a few of the LED's.

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I definately wont be exeeding the max number of LED's per strand, there will be a strand of 16 blues, and a strand of 9 whites with 3 blues wired in.

What do you mean control over the colour temp of the lights if i mix in one strand? Im assuming u mean just i wont be able to dim the 3 blue lights seperately from the 9 white lights?

Or do you mean the actual temperature of the led's?

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

i'd rewire what you have left to keep both running with the right amount of led's! Then save a bit! i think individual led's are only $3 or so!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yu're fine, think she means the color temp, ie blue v white!