30g canopy build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by needmorecowbell, May 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

Hey everyone, I'm building a canopy for my 30g sps dominated tank. I'd like some help building it, it's 36" long and I think 12" wide. I'm making I because I want to hide my lights, I'm building a DIY led unit in the near future and want it to look nice. I'm going to need to be able to get into the tank often, and I need the canopy to be pretty high because of how strong the LEDs are, I was thinking 12". I want it to look nice, not creepy. I don't know where to start, so if anyone could help me out it'd be great.

What supplies will I need? I checked some videos, I would need it to open, I don't want to take it off constantly.

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I don't think it needs to be that high off the water, my LED unit is only 2 inches above my water.

4. needmorecowbell

I was just thinking 12" so i can get in to the tank, I don't want to be taking it off constantly. Do you deal with salt creep with it 2" off?

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

No salt creep here, it's been on since Jan and no issues.

6. needmorecowbell

Alright, I'll take that into consideration..

I was thinking about building a canopy like urajoey on YouTube. It's basic and I can make mine a little nicer I think. I'd like to add some trim to it and paint it differently.