30" Reef Lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Skurd04, Jun 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Skurd04

Skurd04 Plankton

Gaithersburg, MD right out side of Washington DC
    Can anyone please let me know which is the best lighting system for my aquarium. I want to have the ability to grow any coral but my tank is 30" so i only really need about 100watt lighting. I would like to have a system that has a timer and lunar lights and/or possible LED lights to. Anyone have any suggestions?? :confused:

I found an aquaticlife system
    AquaticLife LLC | Premium Marine Aquarium Products that is almost perfect... but if anyone has any other suggetions i would APPRECIATE IT

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

On my 30" 29g I had a 4xT-5. Worked great, certainly plenty of light. The T-5s will be 30" fixtures with 24" bulbs though. You could get a 24" fixture as there are more options in this range and it's the same bulbs. Certainly would work fine if your going to hang it for example.

4. Skurd04

Skurd04 Plankton

yeah i wont be hanging it... so i need something that will fit on the tank. i thought about the smaller one but i woldnt have great accessibility to my tank then... which lighting system did you use in-particular? So that i may have an idea...

5. Skurd04

Skurd04 Plankton

Do you think CF lights are a bad route? I found one cheaper with 2x65w CF lights and 2 LED LUNAR lights....

6. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

If you'd like to grow "any coral" your going to need better than CF.. Most likely T5 or a 150 halide

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I used a current Sundial fixture. Pretty basic, did have moonlights and timers and and individual reflectors. Less money, but I don't think they sell it anymore. They seem to have switched to the Nova Extreme lights, but these don't appear to come in 30".

Also, if you go with the aquatic life, you may want to check out other bulbs. My LFS has some and they make everything look brown. I bring them home and find they are bright, bright green or something LOL.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

CFs are extremely energy inefficient, you won't get near the output of a T-5.

10. Skurd04

Skurd04 Plankton

1 person likes this.
  11. wet9500

wet9500 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If you are looking for a reasonable 30" I'd go with the "Fish Need it" 4 bulb T5 but would possibly change out the bulbs.

1 person likes this.
  12. Skurd04

Skurd04 Plankton

VERY NICE!!! i think i'm going to look into this product!