30 gallon corner.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by KCT, Jan 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KCT

KCT Plankton

Hello
    This is my first SW tank. My girlfriend and I stumbled into a LFS to see if I could pick up a cheap used plastic shop tank for a micro aquaponics system and they had this used tank sitting around looking lonely. After some wheeling a dealing I ended up with a 30g corner tank with light/sump/skimmer/stand/sand/water. I am on a budget so I will be doing/building just about everything I can.

I am not a fan of light wood veneer.

[​IMG]

Took everything apart and stripped off the veneer. (Never again.)
    [​IMG]

Little primer action. (BPR, like I said im on a budget)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We went with a black/brown. Nice and dark :)

[​IMG]

The sump/skimmer needs to be configured and tuned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what to think of the HOB overflow. I will probably end up drilling the tank. After reading the thread on doing so im confident I can handle it. I also have a glass shop near ;)

[​IMG]

I don't plan on upgrading this tank too much but I still have a lot to do. The light it came with is going to be replaced with a LED fixture. Im also hoping to pick up some LR soon but without a working sump/skimmer im not really in a hurry. Any tips or advice would be awesome.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef and you have a great start.

When you drill the tank, make yourself a template to drill the holes. The template holes should be just slightly larger than the bit. Also use a solid piece of wood on the other side of the glass to prevent the glass from splintering when you break through the other side.

Just clamp the wood pieces on to the tank to set your template in place.

4. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Nice find,taking it slow is the way to go,especially when working on a budget.When your ready to fill it with rock ,sand,water dry reef rock is a good way to go.It is much cheaper than live rock and can be bought online.I'm not an exspert on skimmers by any means but that one looks like an antique.Good idea going with an led light there are some good ones availible now that aren't very exspensive and would work well.The skimmer and light are not necessary to cycle the tank and could be added later.

5. KCT

KCT Plankton

Thank you for the advice.

Im sure the skimmer is old school but I am hoping it will still work with this tank....as soon as I figure out what im doing lol.

Im using a rio 800 to run the skimmer, you guys think ill have enough GPH for it?

6. KCT

KCT Plankton

I would like to drill the tank but im not sure what size holes I need. My return pump is a mag 5. I wasn't able to find a thread when I searched. Any help will be great

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

The skimmer could be better but it's a start. The skimmer might be able to be run in the sump instead of HOB.

Who's idea was it to fill with water and sand before deciding to drill?

Did you get new RO filters and membrane?

I would replace the skimmer pump.

I would replace the return pump if you start having temp issues.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

10. KCT

KCT Plankton

I will be keeping an eye on it

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

12. KCT

KCT Plankton

That kit is awesome, it even has the glass saw. So for my sump return I should go with 3/4?