30 gal temp tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Afterdark230, Jun 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Afterdark230

Afterdark230 Flamingo Tongue

Guys, came acrost a deal that I could not refuse for a 150gal setup. I picked it up today and I must say that I have alot of work to do, but I need some answers to some questions fast.

first one and I know I will catch flack on this one but at the time I had no choice. the tank setup came with skimmer/lights/powerheads/test equipment/ the works. also came with fish and a clean up crew. the fish are a pair of clowns, a yellow tang (he is a fisty one and I am going to try to get him back to a lfs as soon as I can) and two others that I cannot rememeber at this time of night. right now they are hanging out in a 30 gal temp tank. I know the tang needs more room but untill I can get the other tank up and running I have no choice. heres what I did with the 30 gal tank.

I did a 2" sand bed with the original sand from the tank. took all of the live rock that I could fit into the tank (at least 80+ pounds) along with all of the water I could get with it so none of the levels should change much. now besides the tang, and the other two that I cannot remember should I have any problems with the change over right now?

next I have about 100 pounds outside in water with a heater and a powerhead. this is going to stay that way untill I get the other tank up and running, should I just drain the water and then just cure it all of over again?

I will check the water parameters tomorrow morning and post what they are. I would do them now but I am falling asleep as it is. Any help would be great!

I think I am going to need it!

matt

2. Click Here!

3. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

i personally would keep the live rock going.
    i know someone who has 200 pounds in his garage in those large tubs and has had it there for 6 monhts mow just sitting adn they are still all good. he was going to set up a 300 gallon but could only set a 180 gallon up so had alot of extra live rock.

1 person likes this.
  4. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

You're fine.

As to the tang, don't worry. It's only a temporary tank, even us tang police understand that. You know that it needs to be in a bigger tank, and from the sounds of it, it will be, or at least back to the LFS (they do get quite feisty, don't they?)

Your LR should also be fine. Any idea when the new setup is going to get put up?

1 person likes this.
  5. Afterdark230

just woke up and the tank is clear, now I need to setup the lighthing yet for the temp tank since its only live rock and fish with no corals I am looking for just regular light and a splash shild, when I am more awake I will get the water par's posted.

Matt

6. Afterdark230

ok well the lighting is going to be an issue, in transport a wire must of gotten crossed and now the lights dont work..... its going to take 3 days for lighting to get here for the temp tank. Water params are good, but not sure what kind of lighting I should use in the temp untill the good lighting is here.

Matt

7. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

fish dont need any special lighting..... post some pics!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

FOWLR doen't need anything special to survive really as far as lighting, its just to provide a day/night cycle for them you can run the cheapy lights from any fish store meant for a fresh water setup for a few bucks

as far as the big tank, do you have it in place yet? if so just check the parameters and keep the LR in water and at a good temp, if the tang is being a punk and you don't want to deal with it just don't transfer him back to the big tank when they leave the 30g setup, also post some pics of the other unknown fish and I'm sure we can get them ID'd for you

1 person likes this.
  10. Afterdark230

here is some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also have another fish but its camera shy!

11. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

well the orange and silver one is a copper banded butterfly

your yellow tang looks really skinny. and sick.

1 person likes this.
  12. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

yep the tang def looks sick, would take him to the lfs were they can treat him in a fish only tank and feed him, thats why he is being mean. The others look good. Thats 80lbs lr??

1 person likes this.