$30,000 peppermint angelfish

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Blue Falcon, May 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

There are at least 7 2 caught in 2012 and 5 recently. The 5 caught this year were collected at depth with a temperture of 76 degrees, not saying that is by any means normal, but not a huge detriment towards long term care.

at $20k+ a crack I think Rufus will go back down.

People said he same thing about Multibarred Angels (Paracentropyge multifasciata ) for years and year. Thought not found at the more extreme depth as Paracentropyge boylei, there have been several breeding programs most notably RCT Hawaii that have been successful.

The only thing holding back such an endeavor is up front capital, but with technologies evolving at the rate they are, the rarity of these fish in glass boxes will decrease. The comparitive ease at which Paracentropyge and Centropyge angels are captive bred makes this a no brianer in my head for a targeted program.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm just going to put this out there but I think there are much more attractive fish out there that can be found much cheaper. They are pretty but not 20,000-30,000 pretty. Could you imagine losing one of these guys?

4. Chris!

Chris! Banned

Just because there were x number caught doesn't mean x number is still alive. Many of them that are caught do not make it long term unfortunately ;) For those 5 it may make it a little easier to keep them closer to reef temp, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone drops them into a reef and they can't take it long term either. Hopefully they do make it but I would still personally run them a bit cooler then 76 for long term.

He doesn't get 20k+ for them. Even still I can assure you if he did get the whole 20k+ that they sell for he isn't trying to get them into breeders hands anytime soon especially not one that would want to lower the price and make them more of a commodity lol

Last I heard RTC wasn't breeding angels. And even if they were its not likely that they would try to commercially breed the peppermint. Simply put it would take for ever to make their $ back as there isn't a huge demand for a $20+k fish let alone many $1-10k fish buyers. Since your comparing this fish with a $100 or less fish... RTC still lists the multibarred as not being able to be bred commercially. So, although yes they have bred it before and successfully raised some fry they don't believe it could be done commercially (or atleast not worthwhile).

I'm not to sure why your so convinced that a group would want to try to CB this fish, even if they did the price wouldn't drop that much because it isn't likely the diver is going to be trying to get these into their hands anyways (potentially higher price, and the initial start up cost and waiting to hope you get a M/F pair which may lead to needing more then 2 anyway, etc. etc. etc. they could easily end up with 100k wrapped up just into a few fish with 0 spawns for years.... doesn't sound like a good investment to me yet..). But ok hypothetically lets say someone did breed them, how much do you think they would sell for? Keep in mind that many CB fish sell for as much or more then their wild counterparts ;)

5. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Anyone notice how deep the sand bed was in that tank?

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hello?

It's in a tank with Foxface, etc. Corralline algae on the rocks, looks like at least a FOWLR to me

Yep, beautiful fish.

7. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Hey just wait till we get deeper we will have to make speacial equip to keep pressure on the water

But I must say pretty fish. But not 20-30k pretty unless I get those 6 lucky numbers lol