30” Odyssea Metal Halide System 380W Review

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ComputerJohn, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I cut 2 pieced of heatshrink tubing & put them over black & white wires. I spliced the wires together. Black to black & white to white and soldered them. Splicing is a much better process then twisting the wires together. Let the wires cool, then slid the heatshrink tubing over the wires, then using a lighter I shrunk them. I then used a zip tie to fasten the wires snug.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

4. ComputerJohn

Thank you.. Yeah, much happier with the new fixture. Just posted some close ups with the MH on..

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

ya I know, i'm impatient as hell :lol:, sorry :-[. Looks fricken sweet though! Have you had any temp issues?

6. ComputerJohn

Well, been running for over 24hrs & all is good so far. I need to get my timers going to run my PC, MH, Moon lights, & cooling fan. I might even just automate it.

I need some feedback on how long I should run each one. I'm figuring the PC should be on for at least 2 hrs before the MH & 2hrs after to sim dawn & dusk. How long should I run the MH? I'm figuring turning the fan on when the MH is on & prob at least 30min after the MH is off to cool it. As for the moonlight? Some run them 24/7 other only run then for a certain time.

Any input would be great!!! Thanks.....

7. ComputerJohn

lol... Not as of yet, but I still need to raise the fixture which will help.. I haven't done a long day test on the MH yet. I want to monitor the temp. Don't want to come home to a cooked tank.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I must have missed something on this thread. What was the purpose of switching the power cord on the ballast? Sorry for the dump Q. Luna

10. ComputerJohn

You did miss it.. I pasted a bit of it... I'll take a pic of the problem I found with the cord..

"When I was first connected the power wire from the ballast to the fixture I noticed it wasn't connecting right. Very loose & won't connect firmly on the plug. So I grabbed an AC computer power cable & pluged it into the fixture (of course NOT plugged into outlet!). It was a LOT better.

So, I made up my mind that I had to change it. Good thing, I found a metal splinter that was about an inch & a half long laying on the PC board in the ballast! That would of caused failure or possible fire at some point."

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  12. ComputerJohn