30” Odyssea Metal Halide System 380W Review

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ComputerJohn, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Hmmm, I wonder who this was.. lol ;D

[​IMG] Excellent! Great replacement for Odyssea by Lunatik_69 Experience Level: Expert Posted on 10/3/2008 from KEY BISCAYNE, FL UNITED STATES Comments: This is for people who have Odyssea light fixtures and want to up grade their ballasts and dont know which ones to get. After reading the reviews from people who have Odyssea fixtures, I decided to take a chance. I also bought the IceCap Quick disconnect male receptacle for IceCap elec. ballast thinking that I needed it, but turns out that I didnt. Anyways, Im glad that I bought them......WOW what a difference they make. They start up the bulbs really fast and doesnt take as long to re-start them even after the electricity goes out, as did the stock ballasts.They also started up the bulbs( SPS Blue Life) that the stock ballasts couldnt. Now I dont have to worry about which bulbs to buy b/c the ballasts cant fire them up. Like if that wasnt enough, they plugged right in the stock cables. There was no need to cut and splice wires to adapt the new ballasts. Over all review..........I definitely recommend them, two thumbs up!
    Yes, I would recommend this product to my friends.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

3 Weeks?? I'd send them back for replacement..

4. ComputerJohn

Hey, it happens. I bought a harmon kardon receiver that I spent over $800.00 that was JUNK! My $300.00 Pioneer put it to shame. I have a computer power supply that at my cost, cost me $80.00 lasted 4 months. I have a cheap $25.00 one that has been running for over 3 years! It is what it is... Luck of the draw....

5. ComputerJohn

It's Here!!

Well I received my new fixture on Monday & have it setup on the tank for now. Have to order the hanging kit. I would of posted sooner, but house hunting.

I have taken a lot of pics & have already done some custom changes already. The other thing is that I thing I should of gone with a 24" fixture. This thing is BIG!!! It takes up the whole top of my tank, making it a pain to do some simple tasks like feeding. That problem will go away once I hang it..

A quick update. NO MANUAL PROVIDED!! If you do have common sense, then you should be ok.. If you get one & are confused just ask.. :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  6. ComputerJohn

First I must say "VERY well packaged!!!" As you can see from the package it took a few bumps & bruises on shipping.

Attached Files:

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Let me know what you think of the ballast temp. Mine got so hot after a few hours even sitting off the carpet on a 2x4 that they would burn my hand. I keep a fan running on mine when they're on and they stay room temp.

edit - Read the sticker on the ballast. lol.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

LOL.. So far so good on temp. I'd expect it running a little on the hot side due to no fan. I'm going to fix that by the end of the week. The labels look like they were printed on a inkjet printer though.. lol...

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Hah - slightly broken English and misspellings too. Otherwise I'm good with just a small room fan - I'm willing to recommend this unit to anyone after using it for 2 weeks. I don't care if the ballasts die completely as I'd be ahead still after buying icecaps. Can't beat the deal. Look forward to reading your full review :)

12. ComputerJohn

How to remove the packing under the acrylic lens.. On the side that the power cables are NOT on. Remove the two screws on the trim bezel near the lens. That trim bezel will come off. Side the lens toward you. Remove all packing. Please note: The silicone band stay on the PC bulbs!!!

This is how you would replace the MH bulb when the time comes.

Attached Files: