30” Odyssea Metal Halide System 380W Review

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ComputerJohn, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Well, received a message from the seller & UPS. My package is on it's way. The tracking info is telling me this Monday for delivery.. Can't WAIT!.. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have oddysea and have shorts when they come on so I will have to tear it down and rewire and soder it. I guess ya get what ya pay for....I put them on the tank feb 17 so they are pretty new...

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I ordered the icecap ballast and new SPS Blue life bulbs .
    The Odyssea bulbs seems nice and bright to me but my Orange monitpora, and red planet frag are losing color. New bulbs will have to come at some point anyway. So I think it's still a pretty good deal so far. IF you want some small reviews of Odyssea ballast/bulbs go here and read the reviews:
    IceCap 250 Watt Electronic Metal Halide/ HQI Ballast

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

6. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I am going to switch from Oddyssea I am already having to rewire the ones I have and there only 3 weeks in the running. I want some good fair priced T-5z

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Whats happening with your Odyssea's? Luna

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

*knock on wood* I am having good luck with mine so far, and would purchase another.

10. 815Reefer

815Reefer Astrea Snail

I just recieved my fixture today. It is very nice and bright. For now it will be good. I plan on getting an IceCap anyways but so far its doing pretty good. Ill post some pics if i can get a camera that works.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yep.. hehe

Comments: This is for people who have Odyssea light fixtures and want to up grade their ballasts and dont know which ones to get. After reading the reviews from people who have Odyssea fixtures, I decided to take a chance. I also bought the IceCap Quick disconnect male receptacle for IceCap elec. ballast thinking that I needed it, but turns out that I didnt. Anyways, Im glad that I bought them......WOW what a difference they make. They start up the bulbs really fast and doesnt take as long to re-start them even after the electricity goes out, as did the stock ballasts.They also started up the bulbs( SPS Blue Life) that the stock ballasts couldnt. Now I dont have to worry about which bulbs to buy b/c the ballasts cant fire them up. Like if that wasnt enough, they plugged right in the stock cables. There was no need to cut and splice wires to adapt the new ballasts. Over all review..........I definitely recommend them, two thumbs up!

12. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I have been useing the Odyssea 48" 4X65 PC's for around 8 months now..
    I may be lucky, but have had no problems.. I don't use the legs.. But I do use a long strip of 1 " wood to keep them up.. My tank is still a work in progress, always will be.. LOL

I just got the ODYSSEA 48" 216 watt 4 x 54W HO T5's.. I added them with my PC's..
    It was a money thing, or I would have went with the best...
    For me this was a good buy.. $130 shipped.. They did come with out fans..
    But I have 4 that I will add, the grills are there for them..

They bring out color better then my PC's ever did.. I can't run all the lights at once yet, due to my corals.. Have to build them up to the lights.. I did turn them all on at one time.. Looked really good.. But going from 260 watts to 476 watts is going to make a big difference, no matter what kind of lights I use..
    Next month I need to replace my PC bulbs.. I've already hooked up with a couple of guys on our site that sells them.. I just have to decide what kind of PC's..
    I'll try to get my camera working and take some Pix..
    It did seem like the PC's lit my whole tank up better then the T5's..
    Right now I have no Pro's or Con's.. And I didn't want lights that put out High Heat..
    But added together, I'm well pleased.. Very Pleased.. My tank is a custom made 60 gal..
    Made and given to me by a friend..
    This is my first tank, been up and running around 8 months. I know very little about lights.
    But learning.. And my next tank will be done right..
    But for now I'm happy.. I have alot of light.. And I HAD to do it the cheap way..
    ( this time ) ....

Later Larry