30” Odyssea Metal Halide System 380W Review

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ComputerJohn, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Ok will do. So I repost when the time comes in there or can you move this thread to there??

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

Thanks for the input.. We'll see.. What most of these mfg want for fixtures is nuts!!

Btw, Congrats on your 900th post! :thumbs_up

4. ComputerJohn

Which lights are closer together? The PC or the MH??

5. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Any word on how noisy the built in fans are? I've been looking to replace my nova fixture from the day I bought it due to the fan noise being so loud.

Also, for the ballast upgrade, I know it's easy enough to swap out the externals, but I see the fixtures also come with 4 internal ballasts, presumably for the T5's. Is it recommended to swap these out as well, or are they good enough?

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The ballasts for the pc's are so cheap, I just replaced mine with stock ballasts. Plug-n-play. Your idea with the 96w bulbs/ballasts would be a cake walk to do. And the t-5 conversion would be do-able also, just a little more diy involved. Be sure and measure every nook/cranny that you will be adding a part to. The endcaps for instance.

7. ComputerJohn

Dead on.. That's what I was figuring. I'm very handy & not shy playing with electricity.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

:laugh5: :laughcry: :laugh5:

10. ComputerJohn

No I haven't, but love the avatar.. That's an old poster, but the word hell is not the word that was originally used. lol...

11. ComputerJohn

Great link... Karma for you.. ;D I'll have to check it out when I get my fixture in.. I'll see if I can cross ref...

12. ComputerJohn

Recap So Far...

Recap so far...

1. Most all have stated Odyssea is a low grade fixture mfg.
    2. Some have been very happy.
    3. Some have done upgrades.
    4. Most all stated the mounting legs SUCK!
    5. Most all have stated the housing is well made.

Overall this is what I have gathered. Even though people stated it was bad, they still bought an Odyssea. In some cases even bought another one, after having a bad experience with their first one. Let's face it, price will always factor more so than quality most of the times.

That said, like I was betting on. Even if you need to make the proper upgrades to make this a better fixture it is like MUCH cheaper than buying a name brand fixture. In for cases the upgrades are better parts than the name brand models..

Well, I'm still waiting to receive mine. I was hoping it would get here yesterday. It would of made a nice birthday present. :(