30” Odyssea Metal Halide System 380W Review

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ComputerJohn, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Oh boy, this is a hot topic. Well, heres my 2 cents. I bought a Odyssea fixture 3 yrs ago before I heard the "bad rep" it had. My fixture has (2) 250w MH, (2) 96w PC Actinics, 6 lunar lights, 5 power cords and came with a hanging kit( and like all the same deals out there, free bulbs). I will say that its not made with the best materials out there, but as mentioned already, you get what you pay for. I paid $329 shipped. I have to replace the side cooling fans once in a while but only b/c I took out the two stock cooling fans and installed 4 cooling fans. I didnt need to replace the ballasts b/c they where working fine, but I got tired of buying bulbs that the stock ballasts couldnt power up. All in all, I've spent 329+10+260=$590 Thats less than half that I would have spent on a name brand fixture. I love the lights and I would buy them again. I will say one thing thou, if your not a handy person, I dont recommend the lights. It helps to be handy. Luna

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely right.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would like to get more efficient ballast but Im chicken to do wiring.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The ice cap is plug-n-play and the lumatek required a little bit of wiring. Taking the light apart is harder than the wiring. Let me know if you need help. I highly recommend replacing the stock ballasts.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I bought an Odyssea 4x65W PC for about $100. What a POS. My JEBO 4x65W fixture puts out much more light with just two 10000K bulbs. Never again. I am going quality next time.

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Jebo is the same company as Odyssea, just a different name.

8. Click Here!

9. Zzippper

Zzippper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have the 36" 630 watt unit with 2 x 250 watt MH + 2 x 65W PC actinics. I am very happy with it. I replaced the MH ballasts as they were seriously under-driving the bulbs. What a difference it made! Even with the cost of the replacement MH ballasts - the price was 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of a similar name-brand fixture. I agree that the name brand fixtures are ridiculously expensive... it's just a light afterall when you get right down to it.

I wonder... has anyone tried upgrading the PC lights/ballasts in one of the Odyssea MH/PC combo units? I'm contemplating swapping out the 65 watt ballasts & bulbs for 96 watt ballasts & bulbs. I know there is sufficient space for this upgrade. I also wonder if it might be possible to swap out the PC bulbs/ballasts for T5 bulbs/ballasts... Has anyone done this?

Z

10. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

On the you get what you pay for trip (I have had 2 Oddysea fixtures) a 4 bulb T5 fixture, and a 4 bulb T6 fixture. The T6's were pretty nice, the T5's would make a better anchor than light. The endcaps melted, the fans died, the light output was terrible. But I was wondering if anyone has heard of this place? fish need it;lights; food;Sponge . I was thinking about buying some of these, but I'd like to know more...

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I was going to replace the PC ballast on my unit, but havent yet. I found this place that has all kinds of ballasts. Heres the link....
    Welcome to BallastWise.com
    They recommended a ballast, but for the life of me, I cant find the model #. Luna

2 people like this.
  12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Yeah, I've hear the legs are bad. That's ok, I plan on hanging it. Much stronger, more control over the lighting height, & a lot easier to maintain the tank.