3 month old deep sand bed

Discussion in 'Sand' started by simonold1975, Feb 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. simonold1975

simonold1975 Plankton

My 5 inch deep sand bed has been going for about 3 months now and all my test parameters are ok except for my nitrate level which is about 40-50 ppm probably due to over feeding even after water changes.When will i start to see worms and stuff in my dsb?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If you didn't add live sand, you won't see them. They don't just magically appear. If you did, it should be real soon. FYI, IMOPE they are necessary for proper functionality and overall health of the DSB.

4. simonold1975

simonold1975 Plankton

yes i did add labout 2 inch of live sand to the top of the sand bed so hopefully i will see some;D

5. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Was this live sand from an established DSB or the bagged live sand from suppliers like Carib Sea? If the bagged product, I'm not sure that has any inverts/fauna in it. To the best of my knowledge, it only has bacteria to kick start the nitrogen cycle.

If you haven't already, I would try to find a local reefer that can give you a cup of sand from an established bed.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I don't know where, when or why that myth got started, but I've bought bagged live sand twice, and both times it was teeming with infauna. I know you're only stating what you've read and heard many times over from so many sources, but bottom line is, you do get true live sand from a bag or it would not exist in any system. The benthic critters don't just appear in the sand regardless how well established, they are imported.