3 kinds of algae on glass, what to do

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Puffer Chick, Oct 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

1. Diatom
    2. Long GHA
    3. Some red/orange stringy algae.

i do have nitrates, and i feed once a day, lights on a couple hours a day.
    Is it ok if i just scrape off these algaes?

oh yea, it is a new tank, 2 1/2 months old, i just hate the dirty look of algae

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Yup, just run your cleaning magnet over the glass every few days, and if you haven't done it yet get your cuc order filled at reefcleaners :thumb_up:

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i did one like last month or sometime ago, i've got it in my email saved. I don't have the money though. But this weekend i might make an emergency buy and buy some snails that the LFS had, they were Nsomething kind of snails lol for only like $1 i also have GHA growing on some rock, i just don't want it to spread onto the rocks to much, the glass looks terrible and so far it's just growing in large patches

5. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

If its nassarius dont go for those for your glass.. nassarius are mostly bottom feeders.
    If you want class cleaners go for cerinths or nerites

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thats the name nassarius lol i can never remember it, and when i'm there i'll see if they have the other two

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

also what about starfish? they had some small pink starfish *i didn't catch the name* for sale and they were all over the glass, would they work as well if they don't have the others?

8. Click Here!

9. cdeboard

If it is linkias they are a little harder to take care of. I would worry about your nerite and cerinth population first. Then next thing i recommend if you wanted something neat to eat algae, an urchin rocks algae like whoa. They dont always go on the glass though.
    I love my blue tux.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so an urchin as in sea urchin? i do have some gha on my rocks so something that would eat that would be nice as i really don't want it to spread out of control

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

oh and they didn't look like linkias as they were really small. lol they actually looked like patrick from spongebob :D they were that colored pink and pretty small

12. cdeboard

Urchin will plow through algae like no ones business.. bad thing is, they eat SO MUCH algae they will also eat coraline as well. If you dont care, then cool.
    Google Blue tuxedo urchin. Thats what I have. They make other pincushion urchins. They also have a venemous black longspine. I would recommend one of the pincushions (come in variety of colors, the blue tux is also a pincusion type as well)