3 days of night

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by ClimberChris, Jun 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ClimberChris

ClimberChris Flamingo Tongue

After reclaiming the chemistry of my tank along with scrubbing 47lbs of LR and a skimmer/filter upgrade, I want to take an extra precaution and black out the tank for 3 days to kill whatever I missed(havent seen anything yet). I have a neon dotty back, 2 clowns, a starfish and a black urchin. Does anyone have any opinions on this method? ;D

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

i covered my tank for 5 days with 2 black trash bags so the light couldn't shine through
    and i have corals and fish

4. ClimberChris

How was the end result?

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I have turned off all lights for 5 days and I have SPS, clams, LPS, plus many fish when I had dino outbreak.

Everybody was fine...the fish stayed in the rocks more when the lights did were out....but everybody fared really well. Did not loose a single thing.

Make sure you gradually reintroduce the light. I started out with my acentics only for 3 hours the first day, then next day turned on my MH for a couple hours with the acentics and gradually increased the amt for a week until I got it back to full cycle.

But I have a 12" clam, along with 6 other smaller clams, a ton of SPS and all were fine.

Good luck

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

question....you scrubbed the rock? Did you cycle the rock again before you put it back in your tank. I am not sure, but I would think you are going to face a big cycle? Maybe someone else can post on that. But when I pulled my rock out of my one tank, I ran it in FW for 2 days. When I put the rocks back in there was a major cycle. I even ran the rocks in a container with SW and skimmer for 5 days after the FW before I put it back in tank

7. ClimberChris

I was doing a water change so I used the water I took out to rinse the rock off after scrubbing it down before returning it back to the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I think you might have induced a major die off by putting the LR into FW. That would effectively kill everything live on it. I don't think the soak in SW would have much of an effect other than sloughing off some of the death induced upon the rock.

If LR is removed from a tank and scrubbed in SW, such as the water the OP removed from his tank for a water change; there should be no risk of inducing a cycle, as there's nothing really to die--I would think.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah....when I did the FW soak I was trying to kill off everything. I had major problems with that tank....I called it the tank from Hell!

I took the tank down and basically restarted it. I used the saltwater soak to rinse the die off off before putting it back in. I then reseeded the tank with some new LR

But I was thinking that even with the SW scrub there was going to be some die off also but again not sure

11. ClimberChris

So do you think 3 days should be enough or should I wait a full 5 before unavailing the tank?

12. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

Wow... 5 days and nothing died? I guess I'm not so scared to attempt a blackout to stunt some GHA.