3 day cycle?!?!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by xeddyboi420x, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

Hello 3reef! I'm a new member cycling a small 10 gallon tank. The local fish store stated that I can cycle in 3 days with InstantOcean's Bio_Spira which I added along with Ocean Water, Argonite-Live, 3 small live rocks, and a blue damsel... temperature at a steady 78 degrees

Day 1 Test
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrate 0
    pH 8.0
    Ammonia 0-.25
    Salinity 1.027

Day 3 Test - The exact same results!

I was just wondering your opinion... could I run out and get my clownfish and anemone now???

2. Click Here!

3. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

there is never a exact cycle period.. you have to keep testing till the ammonia nitrite and nitrate all test 0... do not get an anemone for at least a few months till your water is very stable.. and do not get a clownfish for a while, get a clean up crew first.. how many pounds of live rock? we need more info.. but please do not go and buy an anemone and a clownfish.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

small tanks normally have a small cycle... HOWEVER...
    I would throw in a bit of frozen shrimp in and let it break it'self down for a week then do a test...

-fritts

5. xeddyboi420x

good advice thanks! I will take things slow... not that much live rock at all just maybe 2 pounds at most... should I get a little more?

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

you should wait to get an anemone for 6-8 months when your tank is more stable, granted you hve sufficient light requirements for the animal. I would never recommend a new hobbyist even think about trying an anemone until there a few years into the addiction ;D

7. xeddyboi420x

really? THAT long? whats so hard about it?!

8. Click Here!

9. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Don't throw any dead shrimp in there. Wait a couple of days and test your water again. You could get an a clown and anemonie but you should remove the damsel.

Keep in mind that it will be very difficult to maintain the proper water chemistry that the anemone requires.

Your pH is low and your salinity is too high. You don't need the damsel, the live rock will cycle your tank.

pH should be 8.1 or above and salinity 1.023 to 1.025

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

It is recommended to wait 6-8 months before introducing any kind of anemone. You should have an established system first. From what I see, your wanting to go real fast and that only spells disaster. Slow down my friend and do your homework before buying anything. Luna

11. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

I see nothing good coming from this...
    I'll await the "ASAP" post .

12. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

What are you talking about?