3" clam in 6g Nano w/ 6500k CFL

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Kaianuanu, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu Peppermint Shrimp

I have a 6g nano cube that houses thriving zoas, star polyps, a warty nem, a kenya tree, and a torch. I'm running a crappy DIY turf scrubber in a 1.25g bucket that i plan on converting into a fuge. I have a 30w 6500k CFL light fixture. The tank is 8.5" tall and the clam would be less than 6" from the light, could i keep a 3" crocea or derasa in here provided that i keep up with water changes and supplementation. Also thinking about making a diy nano calcium reactor from an oxygen line humidifier.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I don't think you will have any problems as long as you keep up on maintenance and husbandry.

4. Kaianuanu

the lighting is what im really worried about. Is that CFL plenty? If not, could i get the clam today and order a 6bulb DIY LED kit tonight from rapidled.com?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes that would work also. I think it is but if you are worried it would be better to buy the LED. Peace of mind is much more important.

6. Kaianuanu

Okay, now that i know the CFL is at worst, just good enough, now have some extra time to decide my led options. I was thinking bout maybe getting their 6 led kit and 2 extra led because the ballast can drive the extra. But what supplementation do you recommend?

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would do 5 blue and 3 white LED if you can. That should work great as is.

8. Click Here!

9. Kaianuanu

Went to check out my LFS's 'Blue Crocea', it turned out to be doo-doo brown with a microscopic spec of blue. but I left with a cobia, a BTA and a tiny perc, and 4 astreas. Actually from 2 separate LFS's right by my house.