3 afican cichild dieddd

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by shorkkkkkeyyyyy, May 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Correction some do live in brackish water, but not common. I meant PH levels. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. shorkkkkkeyyyyy

shorkkkkkeyyyyy Plankton

I have had my gtank set up for about aweek or so . They all seem to be doing goood but my green terror keeps laying on the bottom at night I don't know if this is bad or normal?

4. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

ya just clearing up that a small number of cichlids are brackish, like the talapia which is aquacultured in fresh/brackish waters. but still no sodium in the rift lakes but the chemistry is definately similar to the ocean cuz of the volcanic activilties long time ago that split the land to make the lake.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You have more than enough in the 20 with the fish you have in there. If your tank is a week old then it is still cycling.

6. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

your green terror is going to outgrow the tank when it can

7. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

I have a Talapia that I've owned for years and he was pretty big when I got him. He looks to be over a foot long (in the water) and has been doing well (without salt) forever. I had no idea that Talapias required salt but I do believe they like the PH a little higher.

Convicts, in my opinion, don't take pooh from anyone. My Talapia and my Red Devil (who is almost as big as the Talapia but much younger) will gang up on the convicts and both male and females will stand their ground.

Really funny to watch but I probably shouldn't laugh at them.

Also, I agree that you are pretty much stocked with the 20 gallon. Adding more fish will not only stress the occupants of the tank but they will quickly outgrow it.