2x150, 175 or 250W MH? (+) Double ended or Single -120G, 48x24x25

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by infamous, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

What are the differences between a 150, 175 and 250 as far as the amount of light and heat they produce? (no chiller)

What is the difference in the double ended and single ended halide bulbs?

and Which one would be right for my tank?

I was looking at few options.

The fixture is nice and clean but limits light and the reflects are not the best quality.

The retro on the other hand is a better deal but i don't know how to install a retro kit. I build computers for a living so i think i can do this :)

First one is
    48 inch Current USA SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights
    Price: $510.00 comes with 2x150 Bulbs
    Price: $710.00 comes with 2x250 Bulbs
    Description The Current USA SunPod produces an enormous amount of light and cuts through water to even the deepest depths. The PowerPaq 14,000K HQI metal halide(s) produce the energy your corals will need while also providing the natural shimmering effect found on coral reefs. Powered by our proprietary microprocessor based electronic driving system, the high-intensity blue light produced by the 14,000K PowerPaq HQI is so brilliant—no other supplemental actinic lamps are required.

Dimensions: 8.25"W x 4.5"H
    • Power features—Housed in a sleek aluminum enclosure, the SunPod features an integrated quiet cooling fan and strategically placed side vents, making for a really cool fixture. Hammertone HQI reflector pumps up the light output—all being protected with a sealed glass lens. Plug-and-Play mounting features allow the SunPod to be used on any tank!
    • Panelit—feature both Blue and White Lunar Lights mounted on a removable LED panel. Each color is independently controlled, allowing you to use both colors for a gradual ramp up, or one color for nocturnal viewing.
    Specifications
    • Model: 1164
    • Length: 48"
    • 14000K PowerPaq: 2 x 150W
    • Lunar Light Blue/White: 9/9
    • Hanging Kit: No
    • Automatic Timer: Yes
    • Dimensions: 48" x 8.25" x 4.5"
    • Total Watts: 300
    • Total Amps: 2.6
    • Fixture Configuration: C

[​IMG]

Option 2
    Metal Halide Retrofit Kit w/ 2x175W 14000K Ushio
    Price: $460.00 comes with 2x175 Bulbs
    Manufacturer: IceCap
    Dimensions: 2 - 13.0" x 9.5" x 4.5" (L x W x H)
    Retrofit metal halide lighting system complete with two Sunlight Supply Reef Optix 2 Retrofit Reflectors, two IceCap Electronic MH Ballasts: 1-175W, two Ushio 175W 14000K Metal Halide Bulbs, two Sunlight Supply Female Receptacles, and two grounded power-cords.
    [​IMG]

Option 3 & 4
    Metal Halide Deluxe System w/ 2x175W 14000K Ushio Blst- $549.00

Metal Halide Deluxe System w/ 2x250W 14000K Ushio Blst - $589.00
    Manufacturer: IceCap
    Dimensions: 2 - 15.0" x 9.75" x 4.5" (L x W x H)
    Metal halide lighting system complete with two Sunlight Supply Reef Optix 1 Plus Horizontal Reflectors, two IceCap Electronic MH Ballasts: 1-175W, two Ushio 175W 14000K Metal Halide Bulbs, two Sunlight Supply Female Receptacles, and two grounded power-cords.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

I cant find what size tank you have? Do you plan on keeping SPS or LPS?

The difference between the 150 175 250 and 400 watts is what amount of par value of light your tank will get from top to bottom. Lets say you eventually plan on keeping sps. In an 18" deep tank you would want the 175 at a minimum, 250 watt metal halide (average light) or the 400. The main benefit of running a 400 watt is you can go to a 14k or 20k bulb and still get a very good par value of light throughout your tank. With the 250watt I would say go with a 10k 12k or 14k light. With the 175 I would only use a 10k or 12k. All of these would need supplemental actinic lighting of either PC VHO or T5.
    The higher the K value of light the bluer the light is. (That gives most corals a lot brighter color for appearance) The lower k values promote more growth. This info is all general information. If you want to know everything about lights go to reefcentral.com and find Sanjays thread in the lighting section. It goes very indepth with all lighting.

If your not going to keep sps the k value of the bulb does not have to be as bright so you could lean toward the higher k values with no problems.

4. infamous

::)::)::)::)
    Read the title 120G, 48x24x25

5. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

I am sorry. I missed it.

6. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Well you could get away with the dual 175MH if you run the Iwaski 175 14K bulbs. They will have the same par as a 250 DE 15K. Save you a little money on energy costs. I had great growth with SPS when I used them. The 250 setup would be what most people would run. Also another option would be t5 setup which you could really customize how blue you want your lights. That's what I'm running on a 27" deep tank and have plenty of light.

7. infamous

there are 2 reasons i wanted to add halides

coral color & shimmer

i dont think corals reach their natural color without MH

i could be wrong...just speaking from what i've observed

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

whether halides or flourscent brings out the best colors varies between individual corals. i would go with 2 250s with your tank depth.

10. infamous

Thanks for the help and advice.

Do 175's produce less heat than 250's ? If so anyone know how much?

Iawaski bulbs do have very high par values especially with Icecap ballasts ....if they can penetrate 20"...i will be good to go with 175's

wish i could see a pic of 175 vs 250

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

12. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Well I can tell you with a flat reflector I was able to have SPS on the bottom of a 18" deep tank. If you run a good reflector you should have no problem at 20". Also you would be saving money on electric bill. 250 x 2 = 500 vs 175 x 2 = 350. Sorry I have no idea on the heat output, but thinking less watts should be less heat. Hope someone can prove that right or wrong.