2nd time around.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by kaceyo, Sep 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kaceyo

kaceyo Plankton

Hey All,
    I started my first reef tank in the early to mid 80's, when info about them was sparse and totally non-digital. No internet, forums or You Tube available so it was slow going, but still very exciting. I had my reef tank for around 8yrs before I finaly had to give it up. It started as a 45g and ended as a 180g. I started it using a "trickle filter" (they weren't even wet/dry filters yet) primed with ammonium chloride so I could add the live rock straight from the ocean and all at once. I got the LR and much of the livestock, from a husband/wife dive team in Hawaii. They hadn't shut down Hawaiian waters for collecting yet, but that was a short lived source. The rock was amazing, so I'm kind of worried that I might be disappointed with the cultured rock available now. One of my favorite parts of the tank was finding the critters that came along for the ride or grew out later.
    I had a 400w MH and Philips actinic 03's over the 180, but i'd like to go with leds this time. Low maintenance and versatile. I'm on a budget this time so I'll go with a standard 29g and the cheap Chinese led setup.
    I've got a lot of research to do to get my plan going so I think having a forum like this will make all the difference this time.
    I have been breeding discus for 8yrs now and still love it but was re-infected with the reef bug while surfing through the net, so here I am.
    Anyways...I'm kinda rambling so I'll just say I'm looking forward to doing this again and thanks in advance for the help, which i'll need plenty of.

Kacey

Matt Rogers likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef:grin:.

It's just like riding a more expensive bike. The basics of biological filter and chemistry never change. There are a lot more appropriate stocking options now though, with a lot of aquacultured corals that are relatively hardy.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  5. kaceyo

kaceyo Plankton

Thanks MD and Corailline. Your right. My biggest hurdle this time is keeping it all within budget and putting together a well planned and developed low teck system that works well over a long period of time.
    I am very excited about the aquacultured stock available. The way sps, zoanthids etc are farmed with virtually hundreds of varieties in stock, and the wysiwyg offers are just amazing. It's like a kid in a candy store.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Exactly!!! LOL

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome back to the hobby kaceyo! I would have loved to see the life on your rock back then :) There have been so many advances made in the hobby but the basics really do remain the same. I'll be excited to see what your tank looks like once all set up!

8. Click Here!

9. kaceyo

kaceyo Plankton

Thanks OFK, I wish I would have taken some pics of the tank before I broke it down. I'm having fun right now just catching up with the hobby in general. Doing a lot of reading and planning. That's half the fun!!!

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Welcome! Look for used equipment to help with the budget. My biggest piece of advice as far as the equipment goes is buy quality, even if it means you have to pay more or save up a bit first. I started with cheap equipment and ended up paying much more in the end. This is especially true for lighting!!!

Billme likes this.
  11. kaceyo

kaceyo Plankton

Thanks for the advice, though I must admit that so far my plan includes buying a Chinese led, one of the 55 x 3w full spectrum fixtures that I've read so much about. Many people are reporting very good results with these types of led's. I have heard the stories about them not functioning properly and breaking down quickly, but you'll find these about any new tech. I've made sure that the unit I'm getting, the Evergrow D-120, has tons of good reviews and the company that sells them has a good rep for taking care of any problems that come up. If I come across a nice used Hi End fixture with Cree diodes and programmable effects I'll jump on it, but most people selling these types of lights used seem to want near full price for them.
    I am looking for good deals on a used protein skimmer though, and watching the local CL closely for this and other equipment I will need.

mdbostwick likes this.
  12. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Welcome back to the hobby

Welcome to 3reef

Your old tanks sounds awesome do you have any old pictures laying around by any chance ?