29G Sump build w/ Refugium

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by felixfish, Apr 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

I originally started out with running an Algae Turf Scrubber, HOB skimmer, dual media reactor, and ATO with baffles separating the ATS. Shortly after filling the sump tank the baffles broke free and I ran an open system for several months. After time I had green and brown nasty growth all over the floor and attempted to clean it up, but the tank was on the floor and it was difficult to do that. So after doing some research I want to maximize my space and make the largest refugium I can fit into the 29g. I spoke with my LFS, becasue I was debating on doing either a DSB (deep sand bed), or just having LR (Live Rock). They told me I could do both, and I can seed the refugium with pods, and a refugium start up kit. Not quite sure how much this will be, but im sure I won't make it out under 50$. :cheesy:

I was curious on if anyone has done this. Since I want to make the refugium as large as possible, How much space can I run the return pump in. I am pretty much measuring enough room to twist the union to remove the pump for servicing. Here is my design, please let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I have a DSB with rock in my 'fuge, works well enough I guess... nothing to compare it to.

You want the return area to be large enough to handle the surge when you turn the pump back on, before the flow catches up and hits equilibrium. I have a problem with my refugium that the return area will drop low enough that the pump sucks in a bunch of air before the system catches up. To counter this I can stand over the refugium with a 1/2 gallon pail of water and dump it in when the water level starts to get low... once the pump is sucking air it takes it a while to work itself out, which I'm ok with, but if I could rebuild the system, I would enlarge the return by about 1/2 gallon of volume.

I would suspect you're ok with your current design... but that's the only issue I have had with mine.

Also, maybe put the heater in the hardware side of the sump, since it has a higher flow rate, and you'll disturb the refugium side less if you ever have to mess with it.

4. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

Ok I think that is a better idea with the heater. I think my return water level will be ok, due to the refugium wall, and middle bubble baffle being near 16". I did extend the return section another 1.5" so I think (fingers crossed) the level should run toward the middle of the return section. I will be posting pics of my progress.

5. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

Well my new skimmer arrived today, A SC-300 i believe, an ebay 150g cone skimmer. I have to get all my baffles set, and run my new tubing. Here are some updated pics of the skimmer and sump baffles.

[[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Good choice on using glass baffles, they will not come loose like acrylic will.

7. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

8. Click Here!

9. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

I water tested and everything is good to go. I did a trial run, but didn't have enough time to tweak in the valves, and ATO. Just have to make a trip to the LFS, for some LR, cheato, and some pods.
    [​IMG]
    Got almost all the water in it. I was not quite sure how much the water level would go down in the return section. The was was cold so just have it circulating in the sump with the heaters. Still have to adjust the ATO, and tank water levels once its warmed up a bit.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  10. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

I have added the gravity ATO, made a trip to the LFS to get some live and dead sand, and Cheato algae. I had some rock left over from the revamp of the sump tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]