29G MH + compacts

Discussion in 'Frags' started by joksanmo, Nov 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. joksanmo

joksanmo Flamingo Tongue

Hello,
    I have a 29G that I want to use as a frag (all sorts). I have 2MH 150W & 2- 96W compacts "actinic". I will have sand subsrate and LR since I have no sump. I have 4 questions;

1- Would a EHEIM 2217 suffice without a skimmer?
    2- Is lighting too much?
    3- How deep of a sand bed?
    4- Anything else I should consider?

Thank you all for the help and advice.

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I would say you would not be able to get a way without a skimmer. Especially for a frag tank.

For sand, not sure what the recomendation is for frag tanks.

The lighting sounds like it will be perfect for a frag tank. If it's a reg. 29 gallon - it's kind of tall so you would want the halides for penetration. However, depending on where you live and what temp you keep your house at - you will likely need a chiller with that much light on that little water. Especially if you are also running without a sump which will add volume so it would buffer temperature changes.

Either way - I would highly advise running with a skimmer - unless you plan on doing water changes several times per week.

Good luck!

4. joksanmo

joksanmo Flamingo Tongue

I see your logic. Thank you for the advice. I will run a skimmer. The placement is going to be in the basement so it will run pretty cool year round ( I have a heater for the winter). Should I just invest in a breeder tank? They are wider and not so tall.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I have a 30 breeder frag tank right now, and the 1" difference in height doesn't make a difference temp wise. I was running 1 150W MH with 2 36" T5's supplementing with 4 3W LEDs for night lights...and my temp was 80 at 5:30 AM (70 in the house), once the T5s came on, it went to 81, and then the MHs got it up to 84. My lights were 4" off water surface, with fans blowing...just too little water volume to run MHs without a chiller. And you have 2 MHs. Just throwing my 2 cents and similar setup experience.

I ditched the MHs for LEDs...and have no heat issues now...constant 78 with a heater that now turns on throughout the night and day.

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I just built a 29gal frag/QT tank with a 10gal sump. I am using sand that I seeded with live sand from my 90gal DT and some LR. As for the amount of sand needed, I myself have about 20lbs or so. The sand is above the plastic trim at the bottom. You should be fine level with that trim.

As for the lighting, 2 150MH is way too much lighting. You'll cook something for sure. Just as it was said before. Not enough water, especially without a sump.

Check out my BoostLED review. You will see my 29gal there. If you have any questions, just ask away.
    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

What kind of LED's Did you switch over to?