29 gallon build

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Damsels R Cool, Dec 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

ok i just recived this tank from my uncle pretty scratched up what could i do about that?

got it because it sprung a leak but my other uncle is taking care of that for me

but what i want to know is how much do i need to spend to get this thing running?

i have three ideas

1. all hob equpiment

2.stump/refugm

3. use it as a stump/refugm for the 75gallon i want

want to go with option 3 but cant right now

so how much would this run me if i go with option 1 or 2
    please post some links on what i need and try to go cheap

for my PS i'm going for one i could use for a 75 gallon later

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

4. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

fish only until i could afford lighting

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

So would it eventually be a reef? Lighting is not the only difference equipment and set-up wise between the two

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

for hang on back equipment, I would check out ebay or craigslist. Honestly, it won't be much more if at all, if you use all HOB equipment. If you want a sump/refugium, you will need to buy another tank, pipe and all the fittings. The cheapest way is to go with HOB stuff. You will need a skimmer, heater, some sort of filter to run at least carbon, some powerheads and Im sure some other things that i can't think of right now. Good luck with your set up.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well lets see here, lemme add up the essentials

Reef
    1. Sand - ~$40
    2. Rock. Cheapest way to go is base. 45 lbs would be a great start. ~$135
    3. Powerheads. Couple of Koralia 1's would do nicely ~$60
    4. Skimmer. Varies, but figure conservatively at ~$130
    5. Have to decide if you want a fuge. Fuge package if it was DIY with all support equipment done good but cheaply ~$250
    6. Lights. Again varies, but figure minimum of ~$250

Also, don't know if you have any yet, but all the support equipment that goes along. Test kits, refractometer, heater if ones needed, etc.

So there, done pretty conservatively, you would be looking at $865 to get a nice reef up and running out of the 29, without the support equipment. But that's also conservative for good equipment. Don't bother going the cheap route on stuff, I've been down that road myself and all you'll end up getting is frustrated and even more broke as you have to replace all the cheap stuff. If you're going to stay at fish only, you can save with less rock, no fuge (might be able to pull that with a reef too), and the lighting.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

my general rule is you cant setup a reeftank for less than $1000 and do it properly

I know I'm going to catch flak for saying it but that is pretty much been a solid standard for me, even when buying a used setup I usually end up sinking a bunch of cash into it just to fix stupid issues with it

If it were me, I'd buy some rock, sand and a nice HOB filter for like a 60-75g tank if your looking to stick to a tight budget, as long as your willing to do absolutely no corals you can go with a normal light like would come with a FW hood and use that to light it just make sure you use a good bulb to prevent algae issues. Invest in a good heater and you can always just put some macro's in the tank for extra filtration since you wont have a fuge/sump setup.

and a side note, I dont think I would use a 29g as a sump/fuge for a 75 gallon, I'd just use a 20 long, their the exact same size just the 29 is taller which makes it harder to fit in the stand and fit equipment in

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

It depends on where you want to go with it. You could have it as a FOWLR tank to take to college or where ever later in life. We are currently going with a FOWLR with softies. Hard corals are boring to look at anyways, depending on how much you spend on them.

I would recommend going with a sump just because it eases things up alot. a 10g tank with an overflow box going down to it, and a return pump with hose, is all you'd need. No baffles or anything.

Ebay can get you your lighting and other equipment needs. Or Craigslist.org. Going used is a good way to get good stuff, while going "cheap". Our skimmer was used, and it is rated for 40-80 gallons more than what we have it in, and we got it for $75.

If you enjoy the building part, you can find all of your plumbing needs at Home Depot or Lowes. They even cut acrylic or glass if you need something. You could even build an overflow box if you wanted to.

In general it'll run you between $500-$1000 to get it setup. Give or take. That is a very very broad way to see it, because there are so many ways you can go with it.

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

screw the skimmer, no need when you do frequent water changes! and i vote for frag grow out tank, that would be sweet. I see your only 17, do you have a job yet? might need one to start up your own tank as it will get very pricey.

12. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

no i dont have a job and mom and dad are no help they think the tank is a wase of time i'm useing my money that i get as allowance or b-days

i think i'm just going to put away the 29 until i could afford a reef for it and make my 10 gallon the best ever