29 gallon biocube for newbie???

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by fishbreath, Sep 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishbreath

fishbreath Plankton

I am looking for a sw tank, been planning on a 90g with sump. A 29g biocube just came up for sale in my hometown, comes with live rock, sand and some inverts. I do want something bigger but that means a 4.5 hour trip and transporting everything. The question is should I consider the biocube or is it going to be hard to keep water parameters stable? Please help... lol

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you keep it simple it's a easy tank to get your feet wet with. I wouldn't say that a 29 gallon tank is too hard for beginning hobbyist.

4. fishbreath

fishbreath Plankton

How many small fish could I keep in something that small? I know eventuall ill want something bigger so would it be better to get something bigger right off than slowly start increasing my fish stock evenually getting some corals, or woul d it be wise to start with something small to get the hang of saltwater then upgrade later?

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Based on your other thread, you may have already decided, but IMO if you have the room and money for a 90, go with that! While you may very well do just fine with a 29 biocube, it is always recommended for beginners to go on the large side. Unless the 29 is an amazing deal, I would keep looking on craigslist or local forums. I picked up my current 125 gallon tank, stand, 45 gallon sump, return pump, lighting fixture, and a UV for $300. Others have found even better deals.

Point is, be patient if you can. You will find a great deal that way.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Depends on the fish selection, but likely 3 or 4. I do think you should go bigger as already mentioned. If you buy a small tank now, it will likely cost you more to upgrade down the road. As mentioned, buy someone's setup that is getting out of the hobby :)

7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

You will be pretty limited as far as fish go. Sw stocking limits are alot lower than freshwater. Biocubes are good tanks with alot of mods available. I would recommend starting with a fresh cycle though. It will teach you alot more than just buying an established tank am and moving it

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

As Marshall stated it's always better to get bigger, but most can handle AIO tanks. Do your routine water changes. By going smaller you limit your stocking considerably. Fish like Tangs, Puffers.....Triggers and larger Angels do not belong in Nano tanks. You can keep 3-4 smaller fish such as Clowns, Gobies, Fire Fish, Royal Grammas. You have to plan more carefully fish choices because territories are limited.

10. fishbreath

fishbreath Plankton

The price isn't horrible, especially for this town... lol its just close which is nice. I'm just trying to figure out where is best for me to start. Thanks for all the info averyone!