29 Gal ocianic Bio cube

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by sberczyk, Mar 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sberczyk

sberczyk Astrea Snail

Does anybody know anything about them. has anybody had a problem with the pump moving to much water and sucking the sump tank on the back dry. and also when I got it they told me to remove the bio balls should I or no.

2. Click Here!

3. sberczyk

sberczyk Astrea Snail

so nobody knows nothing

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

My sister's boyfriend bought one a month ago and it is in the cycling process! It is a nice design and functionally it works pretty well. The only thing is that I tod him to get rid of the bio-balls and use live rock instead. The other thing is that he needed to get a a skimmer which he bought from Sapphire Aquatics.
    Everything else is pretty cool about the Oceanic cube! Oh one last thing, the carbon filtration cartridge and the overflow are not made too efficient. The Carbon cartridge/filter media was removed to make better water flow possible to the skimmer and return!

5. sberczyk

sberczyk Astrea Snail

thank you yea I had to break off some of the plastic wall that they used to regulate water flow right after the filter so the pump wouldnt run dry. Did the skimmer fit right in the spot where the bio balls were or does it hang over the edge I kinda want to find one that fits in there or where the pump is. Other than that the filtration has been good. Ill put some pics of it when I get batterys for my camera.

6. sberczyk

sberczyk Astrea Snail

also do you think I could do some kind of filter media or gravel inside where the bio balls were if anyone has any ideas please let me know

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The skimmer fits right inside the area where the bioballs were housed and it is conceiled inside so the cover can be closed and no it doesn't hang outside the tank as does a hang on skimmer!
    You won't have any room once the skimmer is in there for other biological or chemical filtration though.
    You could probably place some medium in the first chamber where the overflow from the tank to the back area however!

8. Click Here!

9. sberczyk

sberczyk Astrea Snail

good point by chance do you know a good skimmer that would fit in there its
    8 1/2" wide, 3 1/2" from fron to back and approx. 10" or so deep I havent taken out the bio balls yet.

10. cassey

cassey Plankton

I removed my bioballs because they get too dirty. I replaced mine with liverock. It seems to be worker well.

11. CLoob

CLoob Astrea Snail

Hi everyone, I am new to these boards. I have had my BC29 reef tank up and running since November. It's a great tank. I modified the water flow from the 1st to 2nd chamber. Used my dremel to cut out the carbon filter on the stock filter and now fill it with poly filter, lets water flow through nicely while still filtering out the junk. I have my heater with some L/R in the 1st chamber. Sapphire skimmer in 2nd chamber with some more L/R under the grate in the 2nd chamber. 3rd chamber I have a Rio6hf return pump with Purigen and chemi pure. I used loc-line with splitter to make two returns. One is pointed up for some surface agitation and the other has a hydor flo. I upgraded my lighting with a Nanotuners 3.36 144w upgrade.

12. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

^^ IMO you NEED to modify the stock BC.
    No fuge CL ?
    nano-tuners suggests putting the sapphire in the 1st chamber, then using the 2nd as a refugium.