28G PLANTED Nano Cube

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Blue Falcon, Nov 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

It a 28 gallon CF quad nano cube by JBJ lighting. Love the tank, only thing is that it was designed for reefs and JBJ doesn't make a freshwater version of the 10K/7100K quad combo bulb. :angry:
    So it looks like I'll be running this open top with a K-2 Viper 150W metal halide pendant. I have 2 10 gallon tanks that I will be combining into this one. The glow-light tetra's that are in there now will probably be traded in for neons so I will have a large school of neons rather than 2 small schools of glowlights and neons. Other than that, I have 2 albino cory cats and a clown loach in there right now, and once it's done cycling (using biomedia from established tanks) I will put my dwarf gourami, 2 emerald cory's, clown pleco and neons in it. I also have a large piece of driftwood I'm waiting on. Will post update pics on those but here are the plants I have so far. I'm using seachem flourish and RO water with seachem equilibrium with an air-stone in the back chamber. I'm hoping between the supplements and the MH lights I wont need a CO2 system, but if I do it will probably be something simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

sweet tank!!I'm going to be setting up a small planted freshwater myself here this coming week

4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I can't wait to see what this will look like under MH.

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Can't wait for the pics! ;D

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Got to move some rooms around(baby coming in 1 month)and when done,i'll have my own little den,was going to move the reef in there,but to much trouble,but as soon as it's up and running,i'll get some pic's up.I'd like to see your tank under them halides.

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Anyone have experience or seen a planted tank under MH? This is the light im looking at Aquarium Lighting for Nano Reef Aquariums: JBJ Lighting K-2 Viper Deluxe HQI Metal Halide Fixture

I can get it cheaper directly jbj nano cubes, but this page shows you the specs a little better. Thing is, it comes with a 14000K double ended HQI bulb. Im probably goinna have to replace that with a 6700K bulb. So expensive. Why can't they just make a freshwater replacement for the nano cube. I know I'm not the only one that would buy it. They make a MH hood for the 28G cube, but from what I've read, it gets too hot.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

nice! Keep us posted! I liked to see planted tanks when the plants are totally overgrown and it looks like an underwater jungle

10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

lol. I hope I can get that without a CO2 system. Not paying several hundred dollars for a 28 gallon tank. Might find a cheap DIY bakers yeast in a bottle thing if I can find a good way to keep it from dropping my pH.

11. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Nice tank, I wouldn't do anything but a reef in a nano cube, but it looks like it's going to be a nice planted tank. Also, I'm sure strong light is good for plants, but don't you think 150w is overkill?

1 person likes this.
  12. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Well, 150W is 5.35W per gallon and everything I've read says 3-5 watts per gallon is ideal for planted tanks. JBJ lighting makes a 70W viper pendant but thats only 2.5W per gallon. What do you think?

And I think it's a great tank for freshwater if I can figure out the light thing. I like it better than most nano cubes like the 12G and 24G versions. Instead of a chamber for foam all the way at the bottom thats hard to reach and bioballs, it has a convenient basket with a handle so you can pull it out for easy access. The basket has 3 shelves for ceramic bio media, carbon, and a foam block on top. Very easy to clean. I love it. I took the carbon out cause I'm using seachem flourish and i'm running an extra bag of biomedia in its place. And yes, I AM using the free wavemaker that came with it. My freshwater fish get a taste of the ocean motion. lol

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009